Hackett's Sliding Hair Rig

J

John Howard

Instead of using standard boilie stops. Why not use the Korum bolie beads? They come with the right size needle required to push through the baits.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Not see them John so I can't comment.

I fish a lot of pellet and they have to be drilled, wouldn't the hole drilled to allow the bead through, also allow it to slip back through?
The Quick stops might work but they need a hole of 3mm and pellet of 14 mm don't like being drilled with a bit bigger than 2mm. They tend to split, crack a lot!
The 21 mm will take a 3 mm hole but for me they're to big a pellet.
With a boilie you should be OK though I think?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Phil,
You shown me this rig last year on one of the fish ins. I remembered it as best I could and have used it to good effect.
it's excellent for getting that bait tight to the back of the hook.
I don't get near as many of those little taps which I think are from chub when useing this rig.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Now why didn't I think of that, it would have solved all my problems of using different size baits on one session. Anything for an easy life that avoids me having to tie different rigs on the bank because my fingers seemed to have developed a mind of their own over latter years. They have decided that the best way of doing things is to drop them a few times first, very frustrating.

Thanks Phil, I like it mate.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Graham i think i must have got my fingers from the same place as you.

Remember back to when i was a kid i could tie a size 18 spade by hand now i suffer with a eyed12. Such is life

T

tom riordan

Nice effective rig phil, I will be making that my standard rig for meat and boilies in the future, Baz showed me the rigs that he had made up based on your method, but the ones I tried to make using shrink tube were unwieldy, the ones you have pictured in your article using micro tubings look the dogs danglers. Bryan I am so ham-fisted and visually impaired that I have never fished with a hand tied hook smaller than a size 10 and then it is with owner hooks which must have the biggest eyes in the hook world. Methinks it time to invest in one of them thar hook tiers thingies, anyone know of a good brand, Especialialy one that can tie a tiny loop in the hair because I always end up with a knot the size of a maggot and a loop big enough hang a mouse with.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tom,
For tying youre loop hair, get your hair length material, and tye an ordinary half loop knot. Pull the end of the line until the hair loop is big enough for you.
Now tye another half loop down on top of the first knot. It will now be firm and not close.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
alternatively, you can put the point of a pen in the first half loop, then pull down to this, just put another half loop on top to secure it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or, double the line over, and tye a knot in it. Pull the loop to the correct size with the tip of a pen before you tighten up.

W

Wolfman Woody

Tom - for tying very small loops have a look here Go down the page to 2475 "looptyer". They are good, but I don;t know what the postage would be on one little item like that. I used to have a load of them, but one by one I've given them all away now bar the one I use.

You can make one out of a small block of wood and two fairly strong panel pins, but describing how to tie the loop is tricky. Theirs comes with instructions.

Then again, you could contact them and at the same time ask if they have any "line threaders" still. They're like a needle with a spring on the end and you can thread line through all the rod rings quicker than someone with damned good eyesight. Best tool yet!

J

John Howard

Phil the korum stops are bullet shaped so push through easy. They then work just like your boilie stops do. I use a 2mm drill when using them.

As am alternative to your method I have started using Stonflo hairs, these are a silicone "hair" in two lengths. By usingthese I can set up a number of pellets of varying size and then just nick the hook through the top. I find this aa lot easier to do in the dark.

P

Phil Hackett 2

John H. Thanks for that, I'll have a look at them.
Baz I think the original rig I showed you in the pub was a double loop one? I was never quite happy with that one, so I modified it to the current one, which I think is better.
But I would say that wouldn't I, as it's my modification to a rig the carp lads have been using for sometime? Cheers (and He'll hate me for saying this) To big Steve for showing me the original sliding hair he uses for carp fishing and latterly barbel fishing. And also the further information he's so kindly supplied me with on other aspects of hair rigs. I personally think with constructive input (like John H's) we can get this rig as good as it possible can be for the job it was desinged for.

M

MaNick

I Like this a lot!...

funnily, whenever i fish pellet, i never fish it that close to the hook, prefering to leave it hovering up around the bend......

I manage this by sliding a clear float stop on the hair, and pushing it up to the base of the pellet, thus holding the pellet in place?...