other species of fish

J

James Swinford

when lake fishing , how do i avoid carp as i'm after bream and tench.what methods are good aswell

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can avoid carp James. If they are in the area of youre bait they will have it.
I was breem fishing a few years ago, useing french maize on the hook, and groats mixed in a ground bait. Each breem I caught was a big black one, with no silver slabs.
I knew that whithin one hour of my sesion the carp would turn up, and as I wasn't tackled up for them it usually ended in me being snapped off. I got used to the idea that when things went quite, that usually meant carp had pushed the breem out, so then I would step up to slightly heavier gear for a while. A carp set up will account for breem as well.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
James Baz has answered part of your qustion very well I feel. However as to methods, you really need to supply a lot more information about the venue you are fishing. Size and depths of water, is the bottom even how does the bottom develop from the bank, is it very steep or gently sloping. What features does your water hold, islands bars, gulleys, what is the bottom like. Are there overhanging trees, lilly pads etc. The more information you can provide the easier it will be for people to help you.
If you don't know the answers to the above tha would be a very good place to start.

C

Cakey

Fish for carp .........then you will get the tench and bream

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's about right.
Seriousely, on one of the large lakes near me,the carp lads are pulling some cracking breem out on their carp gear and 16ml boilies.
Try to get to know the difference between carp and breem/tench rolling, eveninings are a good time to watch for them. Maybe somebody can point out these differences, then fish these areas.
I used to fish for breem on four pound line.
I catch the same sized breem on 10lb line.
If there are a lot of carp where you fish, don't be afraid of stepping youre gear up. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

Not a bad idea Cakey. I used to use Bream 3000 groundbait and caught some really nice roach, but when I used Roach 3000 I usually caught bream.

J

James Swinford

thanks .i fish mainly nellbridge aynho oxon/northants border ,it has 3 lakes 2 for pleasure/ match they're medium size and a large lake for specimum carp, don't know the depth or size but i know theres carp to 29lbs and how to catch them .i've read there are bream tench and chub in the lakes but dont know the size.