daiwa rod

Beedz

Reaction score
I had a load of fishing gear replaced through an insurance claim (bastard gits broke into my out house!!!) and the rods I've been sent are daiwa perception 2.75lb 12ft. They seem nice rods, but I can't find any information on them anywhere! Anyone heard of them? (The daiwa uk website isn't finished yet, and they haven't replied to my email!) The insurance people list them as ?130 each, and I'd just like to check up really as the reels they sent me are listed as ?50 each on the claim - but ?30 on their website!
Cheers
Steve

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the insurance company's job to rip you off as well mate.
some will depend on your'e policy (new for old) check up on it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The shop always qoute MRP then knock of the 20% the insurance companies want. You should stand firm and tell them you wish to replace at your usual outlet not there specified one.

P

Phil Heaton

Most insurance companies these days work through loss adjusters who in turn deal with specific tackle dealers, these tackle dealers give a discount off the MRP to the insurers.
As most of the tackle sold can be obtained at discount prices by the general public from various outlets, I am sure that the insurance companies do not save as much as they think.
All the tackle prices are assessed at the full MRP's which makes your claim seem excessivley high, then the dealer gives his discount making the saving to the insurance company seem good. I then presume the loss aduster puts a percentage on for his efforts, probably increasing the costs to above what we might have paid ourseles.
I have had 2 claims and both times found that I had got more back than I lost, compared to the list I submitted with the claim.

Beedz

Reaction score
I've noticed that I gained more than my list also! Didn't really understand that. the list I quoted came to around 800, and the gear sent out came to around 1200! logic seems to be lost on these people! ah well, guess I shouldn't complain about gaining!! Just look forward to getting a chance to test the gear out!

Beedz

Reaction score
if anyone is interested, it turns out the rod is one made by daiwa specifically for the tackle company -to be used for insurance cases. very suspect if you ask me! however, the rods do seem to be pretty good.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
You are giving me severe worries beedz.
I've got an insurance claim pending and the company have already stated that they are going to shop around for cheeper products.

P

Phil Heaton

Tim,
If you have new for old cover, then all they can really do is find someone selling the item cheaper.
Beat them to it, shop around yourself to replace the goods to your satisfaction and let them know that you can get a satisfactory replacement at a discount on the original estimate.
I'm sure that they could not replace anything for goods of a lesser quality anyway, otherwise what would be the point of being insured.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Thanks phil, Because it was outhouse contents I was told that I was insured to a limit of ?2000. The items stolen were valued at around ?4000 so I've obviousely made a big loss.
What worries me most has already been discussed with regards the insurance company using the RRP to make up the ?2000 and then pocketing the difference when they purchase the items at discount. I've already gone out and got a couple of quotes at discount to try to prevent this. Am I being realistic?

Beedz

Reaction score
it's a difficult one, but at the end of the day you do have rights to argue over what they offer you. best thing i can recommend (unless you have a friend in the law industry!) is to read through the insurance docs with a fine thoothcomb before saying anything to them. most of the people you will deal with will have a list of rules to follow, but no real knowledge of the law & the contract signed up to. also, these companies will definately try it on!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If you can get a better deal yourself do so. It is your right to get the goods replaced were you want not were they want.

P

Phil Heaton

Tim
As a point of interest price up the items you really need repalacing using discounts from various dealers, then try to replace the remaining items with the money left.
I am sure you will find that you are not too far away from the insurance company reduced estimate.