Bivvy wacked

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
OK don't laugh but as a poor soon to be ex student I've decided to join a club with some nice lakes and hope to do some night fishing. however I havent got a bivvya dn can't really afford one and have other kit to get. I do however have a nice small two man dowm tent which is almost totaly green except the bits the poles slide into and the fron porch overhang. Would this be suitable?.

Jon

D

David Will

Yeah it will be ok as long as you are not fishing in the Colne Valley (the real one not the Mickey mouse Essex one) :).

J

James Bradshaw

Jon - I'm in a pretty similar boat, as it goes... just joined a club for night-fishing... no bivvy... but I've bought meself a shelter from Argos - not that bad, considering it was only ?39.99 - take a look if you fancy a cheap option.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Jon and James - I used to have the argos one - ok but a pain in the wotsit threading the poles through - especially if you go at it from the wrong end!!

Bear in mind also that the so-called built-in groundsheet only covers half the ground!

J

Jonathan Faro

Yeah I know it was hte buswackers. Whats rong with essex, ah colne valley nice place. I got my tent from argos it's the sierra one if you fancy having a look in the catalouge. It seems ideal and is easy to put up. Took me abou 10 mins the first time I did it but I reckon I could do it in aroudn 3 or 4 minutes now

Jon

A

Andy Rooke

dont worry about that cheap stuff mate! its not worth buying it i have had it and it always lets you down get a decent bivvy mate, save up for one that will suite the style of fishing that you do, i have a titan bivvy and also a profile brolly i got the brolly for overnighters even in the winter. have a look around through the magazines or i have seen a few good one on the rmcangling.co.uk sale/swap/wanted good luck mate
andy

J

James Bradshaw

Fair point, Andy - after all, you get what you pay for! But considering the amount of use a bivvy would get from me, I can't justify spending ?200-ish on one... there's no way you'd catch me doing even one night, let alone more than one, in the depths of winter... I just don't have that dedication. I just fancy doing the occasional night here and there on one of my local pits for the cats and eels, and come the end of August no doubt the shelter will be put in storage ready for next summer! But I do wonder sometimes whether tackle IS worth what you pay for it - take this example. I bought a basic Optonic a few years back - cost me ?35 (and I then got a 2nd-hand one for ?15). One of my mates bought an alarm (not sure of the make - Fox, I think) that cost him ?150... but at the end of the day, they both sit on top of a bankstick and go ''beep!'' when line pulls through them... So, getting back to bivvies, I'd love a really good, totally weatherproofed, all mod cons one... but I don't need one, as it'd just be a shelter for me and my gear in the event of any summer showers (LOL - saying that, I remember the opening day of one season 5 years or so back, I'd set up ''camp'' with a couple of brollies - one for me and my chair, one for my gear, food, etc - only to be set upon by the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen - I had to abandon the swim at 3am and go sit in the car till it had died down! Needless to say, everything was soaked... I ended up going home that afternoon! So yeah, a decent bivvy would have prevented that - but that was a one off, let's face it). As you said yourself, m8 - get one that suits your style of fishing... as far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what I HAVE done... Good luck this season Andy - let us know how you get on.

A

Andy Rooke

yes mate, i am lucky to have a option of brolly orbivvy. before i had this gear, i used to sleep under the stars on my unhooking mat. this is pukka in the summer you get what you can afford good luck to every one this season
andy

J

Jonathan Faro

I hope to get a bivvy enentualy but fistly I need to get a fll time job, then a bedchair, extra rod, optoinics etc and as I have a tent now I'll use that

Jon

T

The Gaffer

Hi all, as an owner of a Nash Viper and winter skin (total=?400) might I suggest you buy a 2 man Cypry dome (which I also have, ?80) as there's not a lot between them other than the price and a fancy label!!!

J

Jonathan Faro

I've just spent 60 quid on my licence and club membership, Considering I only work saturdays so get 25 week thats a lot, ahrghh but I'm going fishing tommorow Yeah. If worst comes to the worst I'll hide under my army poncho cos I'm only taking my brolley, thats enoguh considering I'm cycling up to the lake.

Jon

J

Jonathan Faro

went down to oner of the clubs lakes today and lo and behold someone was using exactly the same tent as mine for a bivvy, actualy where is my tent, the little sod.......................................~ slamiing of door~