Carry on.......

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
I have a problem of carrying my rod nad gear. I'm alright with my heavy float/light ledger rod as it's 3 sections but my 2 section carp rod is a problem as I have to carry it all on my bike. I can just about get a rod in a tube with the top of the rod sticking out, a umbrella and large landing net handle attached to my bike by bungee cording them along the top tube and onto my pannier rack but is there an easyer way. I only have to ride about 3 - 4 miles or possibly about 5 or 6 depending on what lake I want to fish.

Jon

K

Kevan Farmer

Jon. I, as well as probably thousands of others sympathise. Many of us will know the 'pleasure'??? of hearing that sickening crunch and finding the tip of your favourite rod has been snapped because it protrudes somewhere on the bike. It happened to me - if anybody still has a tip section for an old East Anglian Rod Co. 12' Tipster I'd be interested. This was over 20 years ago and things have not changed much if you rely on a pushbike for transport. The only suggestion I could make is to either invest in a longer tube to protect your rod(s). Or, rig up some form of carrier on your pannier rack so the rods etc are held upright. If you have the facilities then it might not be too difficult to fabricate some form of substantial holder.
Hope this is of some help.

J

Jonathan Faro

cheers, Ive just lost access to a welder cos I've left college and my mate used to be able to eld stuff for me. I'm sure I'll be able to bodge somethingup even if it's just something hard over the end of the rod

Jon

R

Rob Brownfield

I used to manage to get 12 foot rods alomg the cross bar, making sure more rod stuck out the back rather than the front. Theory was I was not going to back into anything on a bike..lol

I also rigged us a contraption incorporating and old wheeled shopping bugger with outsize wheels and am extended handle that acted like a trailer. I have seen similar things available for mountain bikes

J

Jonathan Faro

I found out that if I squessed the rod tube into a sligy egg shape cross section the large eye of the road went in (not too hard cos it would break obviosly) so know theres only about 2 inches out of the tube and these aren't sticking out from the back of the bike. I'm off fishing tommorow so I'll let you know how I get on.

Jon

K

Kevan Farmer

Jon. I don't know how flush you are with money but you can usually pick up a cheap arc welder in the local free papers. If your welding is not up to much you could always try a night course at college. I did it without taking the qualification and certainly brushed up my welding skills a great deal.

J

Jonathan Faro

I'm a bit skint. It worked fairly well except I could harldy get my foor onto my right peddle adn my left foot kept hitting the chair attached the the left hand side of my pannier rack. I've sorted it for my trip on thursday so I only need one rod tube by leaving my brolley at home (I'm tacking a poncho in my backpack jic) and taken the middle out of my extendable landing net handle. I don't use it extended for big fish and it's a lot easier. I may take the chair I dunno.

Cheers

Jon

K

Kevan Farmer

Best of luck Jon. Take care on the road though. As I said before, I remember having to rely on a bike - and later a motorbike - and it is not easy and not altogether very safe when the bike's loaded with gear.

R

Rob Brownfield

It was no fun slinging a beachcaster across my back on my little Vespa scooter...especially because the tip section was 8 feet long.

J

Jonathan Faro

I'm not going to get a motorbike EVER. I would love one but all my freinds siad not to and pointed out my slightly psychotiuc nature on my bike and the damage I do to myeslf at 30 mph compared to what I woul at 70+

Jon

K

Kevan Farmer

Jon I know that feeling well....I wrote my first motorbike off at 90mph.......not good. I did learn my lesson about speed though and I don't anymore...

R

Ron Clay

Years ago I used to have a little 50cc moped. The rucksack and folding chair went on the pannier at the back and the rod bundle over my shoulder.

Went hundreds of miles fishing with that little bike.

Oh the joys of youth

K

Kevan Farmer

Me and a mate of mine used to do this. He'd be on his Honda SS50 and me on my Suzuki GT250. I used to get to the water and be catching before he had even arrived......until that time I totalled the bike. Ah what memories. I can also remember sleeping rough on the canal towpath while night fishing and having rats run over my legs....uh!