Photoshop

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

It obviously seems that our Graham has been playing around with Photoshop.

Is there any of you who are experts with this software. I could do with a little advice on how to get started.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not guilty this time Ron. I've only played with Wol so far. And only cos he played with me. Take a closer look at the owner of the album.....

B

Big Rik

"I've only played with Wol so far."

really Graham?
I know Wol is a slag and any holes a goal, but I counted you as having more taste.

Mind you, what with you and Barney, I suppose Wol is a bit more up market......

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"Mind you, what with you and Barney, I suppose Wol is a bit more up market......"

oh ya for sure

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rik, You've got to admit I made Wol look better. Let's face it, that was the only way to go.

As for you thinking Wol is more up market than me and Barney I suppose the southern attraction to a bit of rough accounts for that remark.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Love it!

How can I help you Ron? Are you looking to change that pile of pancakes on your face into becoming a real stunner like me?

Seriously mate, let me know what you want to know and I'll help you out. Can do it on here if you like?

Cheers

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
1 - start with selecting file ?new?
2 - change the settings to what ever dimension you feel more comfortable with i.e. pixels, centimetres etc. This will display a canvas the size you require.

Alternatively, choose any pic on the web to play with. right click on the image and select copy. Open photoshop and again select file new ? this will give you a canvas with the pre-set size of the image you selected elsewhere. Then press ?ctrl v? this will paste the image into the canvas and then u are ready to start playing.

P

petsrod

Ron, take out a subscription for a mag called 'Digital Photo' I have.

DP is a great mag for digital photographers,
It's greatest strength is the monthly CD on the cover. I have just got my November issue today.

This months CD contains,apart from other items, 104 minutes of quality Photoshop lessons,these are videos with sound.

It pays to download from the net 'Quick Time Player'to be able to watch the videos. I have tried other players and found 'Quick Time' to be the best, my O.S. is windows 98 2nd edition.

I have been taking D.P for two years now
and have learned much from the videos, I use Photoshop 7.

Also I have just bought a super book for ?22, it is 'Barrie Thomas's Photoshop'
It explains in detail the basic use of Photoshop, plus many advanced tools etc. All with very good coloured illustrations and easy to understand text.

Try, http://www.barrie-thomas.com/welcome.htm for more information, a very good site in all respects. I have no personal connection with either of these products.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Many thanks guys. I'll get into it tomorrow whilst I still have some time. I'll shortly be starting a new job the way things are looking.

No rest for the wicked!!

And I might have to move to the South of England!!

Not into the inner M25 thank goodness.

P

petsrod

Nice site Alan!!.

Ron, I am not trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs!! But if your digital imaging needs are only for your angling photos, family and holiday snaps, then the full Photoshop would be overkill. In that case Photoshop Elements would be ample,and a lot easier to learn, and a hell of a lot cheaper. A new version,Elements 3 has just come on the market.

Sorry about your job problem, you will be welcome in the south,the fishing is great and we are not as insular as we are reputed
to be, or as soft. You would get a great welcome in my club.

Perhaps we could fish together one day.

I did not realize the nature of the bait box, it is just not me,so I will leave it alone in future. Hope I hav'nt ruffled too many feathers.

C

Chris Bishop

How to get started - play about with it.

Just copy the pic first so you don't cock the original up if you balls it up.

T

The Monk

I did an NVQ at Mancat a few years ago, this was based on Apple Mac applications of photoshop, Quark and illustrator, I was editor in chief of a journal and the company sent me on the course and paid all my expenses, this was because I was in charge of the design department complete with 4 Mac operaters. I passed the course but was far from competent on completion, Photoshop is a truely amazing design and art enhanchment tool and I was fortunate in that I had designers who shown me many short cuts and tricks which has helped me get the best results with my Wedding work and pastimes. Since digital photograhy has become popular, many magazine have appeared on the market and many often give away CDs and DVDs showing punters how to use Photoshop, in addition some excellent books are available on the market and event some wedsites now give advise and help

T

The Monk

Photoshop is incidently the industry standard, any other programmes, in my opinion, only take second place!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And only a few months ago our Monk was extolling film photography.

He said that digital would never overtake film.

Now it has.

Witness what is happening to Kodak. Layed off thousands world wide I believe.

Wait whilst the next generation of computing hardware becomes available. Another 5 years I have been told. The "neuron" chip which will be capable of doing things very similar to the human brain.

In other words values between 0 and 1, or on and off.

T

The Monk

Interestingly Nikon have just brought out the F6, its a brand new 35mm film camera?

T

The Monk

Interestingly Nikon have just brought out the F6, its a brand new 35mm film camera?

The worrying thing about digital image storage is that when my great great great grandsons starts writing his new book about carp fishing in the 22nd Century, he may no longer be able to download pictues of his great great great grandad and his great great grandad (my son) holding carp which were caught in the 20th Century, and thus carp anglers of the 22nd Century will be deprived of authetic photographs of carp from the 20th Century basically because the technology of the time was crap