NO-GO AREAS

Matthew Cooper

Reaction score
I refer to the artical on the back page of this weeks AT where a a guy was assulted with an axe on the river cam. There has been a lot of talk about anti-hunt protesters trying to put a stop to our sport but what about the local thugs who just want to confront some one and what better target for these mindless thugs who have nothiing better to do than a person sat on the banks of there local river minding there own buisness. I have encountered such people whilst fishing on the tees and luckly was helped out by a couple of chaps fishing alomng the from me.
I never caught there names so didn't get chance to thank them properly,and don't fish on that part of the river any more. How can this be resolved if we retaliate we end up being tared with the same brush or we lose a lot of exepensive kit .

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I put the blame fairly and squarely one the British Police which are the biggest bunch of incompetants in the world.

And by the way, why aren't the police in this country taught how to drive properly?

A friend of mine was fishing the Chesterfield canal recently and two teenage yobs started throwing stones at him. He dialed 999 and to cut a long story short the police were ....ing pathetic. All they told my friend was that he was not to defend himself.

Personally I would have shot them both, in another country in another time!!

I am not joking.

Beedz

Reaction score
course, there's always the bait catapult!

in all seriousness though, very little seems to ever be done to assist victims any more. unless of course you find a pretty little booklet offering counselling of use to you after your belongings have been stolen!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I always thought that Britain was a civilised country. I always thought that Britain was a first world country.

It's not.

In a civilised first world country, anyone should be able to partake of any legitimate pastime, sport or following without being troubled by criminals. We have a full right to be rid of criminals, muggers, druggies, vandals, yobs, skinheads and other such dementure.

Such a right should be part of a charter on human rights!

The way the bluddi Labour Party and the British Police behave is that they accept that these people should exist.

They shouldn't exist.

They should be destroyed.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Have you got another hangover Ron?

Seriously, I must admit I have some sympathy with what you are saying, its permissable for individuals to mug, rape, rob even attempt murder but you raise one finger in defence and you're straight in the nick, no arguments.

Its not, and hasn't been for a long time, a nice country to live in and if I could just pluck up the courage to emigrate I would. I know in any E.U. country you can draw your pension and you get free medical care, plus, the value of my house would buy a magnificent house in say Spain and I'd have as much left over.

Bloody long way to the Wye though.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Well there is a general election coming up. Vote for the party who is going to take out criminals, and I mean take them out.

There is always the Ebro Graham.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
As you say it's all too common to encounter knuckle scrapers out there, never quite understood why they target anglers. Sometimes I prefer to fish in solitude but more and more now I have company.

Has anyone taken out insurance on their tackle, how much does it cost ?

alan

Reaction score
i posted a link the other day to a forum where the bloke who was attacked was telling everyone what happened.

he was hit round the head with a 14lb felling axe and the police are calling it "common assult" , the reason for being hit, some pikeys were in the way and in the argument that followed he told them to f*** off, and threatend to hit them, they came back with the axe.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, by law you are entitled to hit an attacker once, and once only enough to stop him.
In a lot of areas, the police are still unaware of how seriouse fishing related crime is. (fish theft)
There are no go areas. My belief is that these areas should be regularly patrolled by the police, to try and make it a safer place to go.
999 takes priority over a call to the local police station. And is attended to immiediately, but that's just in my own expierience.

alan

Reaction score
not what i was told Baz, if you are in danger or being attacked you do what is nessacery to get away, if some one came at me with an axe, and i had no choice but to fight, i wouldnt hit him once, i would make sure he couldnt get up till the police turned up.

but it goes the other way, if they just punched you and you kicked the s*** out of them putting them in danger, you would probably get the blame.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Slightly off course, but, the threat of physical harm, is one of the few excuses for drink-driving that will be accepted, but only to the limit of removing yourself from the immediate threat.

stu

Reaction score
......I think I'd risk it Alan. In fact if I thought I could get away with it (ie not being duffed up myself!), I would kick two shades of sh*t out of them and not call the police. Sod all gets done anyway.

I tell you, I think if we are not careful there is going to be a serious vigilante backlash somewhere, soon. Someone, somewhere must get the message soon........

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If you get attacked and realiate, make sure your attacker will be unable to give evidence in court.

Otherwise it will cost us, the tax payers, lots of money.

I learned that many years ago from a member of the SAP.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

Ron said "And by the way, why aren't the police in this country taught how to drive properly?"

I wouldn't say that in front of my friend, Ron.

I will go along with the belief that in soem areas their responses are very poor or not at all.

M

Mel Crighton

So I can hit him once then, that is all that would be needed, if you know how and where,as for the Police dont bother them, just sort it your self tie him to a tree and walk away,after you have stripped him first, but there again your not allowed to do that as you will then have had to touch him more than once, my advice get a big dog like me.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Well Jeff, ask him if he signals on and off a roundabout?

They don't around here.

And does he tailgate?

They do around here.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way Des Taylor has just paid a visit to Canada.

He mentioned that people over there don't bother to lock car doors nor their homes because there is no fear of theft!!

I spent some time with a Canadian and two Americans from Connecticut recently. They could not believe the attitude to crime in this country, nor the amount of it going on.

Canada is one of the most crime free countries on Earth I was told and I tend to beleive them.

Beedz

Reaction score
From a policeman I know, a general rule over the defending yourself thing is that you can use "a reasonable amount of force until either the threat is no longer present, or you are able to remove yourself from the situation". Reasonable force is of course the 'loose' part. Also, if you are a registered practitioner of martial arts, boxing, service person etc. you have to be even more careful as you are considered to have a weapon at your disposal.

difficult situation to be in all round

M

Mel Crighton

Better leave my hands at home when I go out then as they may be considered as offensive weapons,come to think of it feet as well, better still I wont go out at least I cannot defend myself against no one.