Beginners and improvers.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I regularly look at this thread and give help and advice where I feel able. But looking through the threads this evening I notice that most of the threads have few comments on them. I have been fishing since I was 13 and can say without being big headed that I am a competent angler. How ever I feel that there are a lot more anglers out there on the site far better qualified to give beginners more help than I do. But in my humble opinion we don't seem to be giving as much help as perhaps we could. Is this a misconcenception on my part or do a lot of FM members not look at this section, or if they do look at it not give as much help as they might?
Shoot me down in flames if you wish its just my perception of the situation. Please correct me if I am wrong. Those who do contribute regularly, please don't have a pop, its those that don't that I'm asking the question of.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

You're right Richard.

I rarely look at that section, perhaps because I liek a bit of fun, banter, and a political scrap now and then in the brief moments I get to look in.

However, when I see someone asking for advice in the other sections I always try and give some if I feel qualified enough.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm as guilty as anyone, I've got to admit I don't look as often as I should.

So I've just resolved to pay the section more attention. Thanks for highlighting it Richard.

jp

Reaction score
I've got into the habit of just looking at the latest replies, I'm not sure if this always brings up new topics (unless there has been a reply) but I feel the problem sometimes with the beginners questions is that the necessary answer is sometimes going to be so long and complicated that many people don't bother.

Perhaps a note at the top of the beginners section to think more carefully about the question being posed would be of some help and maybe some information about searching the site would be of some use, the information required is more often than not on the site somewhere.

Quite often the questions are very basic, (that's understandable of course, we all have to start somewhere,)but I feel it may put some people off replying because the answer seems so obvious.

P

Peter (Tackle Tart) Jacobs

I agree with John that more often than not there is insufficient detail in the question to be able to reply properly.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I spot them buy monetoring the New Discussions tag at the top of the page i see all the topics and can help were possible.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

Ditto John and 'that tart' - Someone asks a question "how and where can I catch a barbel?"

No info. Where they live, what tackle they have, what experience of other species they have. Where do you start unless you write a book? But books exist so why don't they read them and come back with specific questions?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I am just starting to ask questions on the carping or camping thread. Something I know very little about.
I may say the wrong thing in the first question, but once somebody has answered it, that then points me in the right direction I want to go. So in a way, I am a new comer, I'm old enough now not to be worried about sounding silly, asking what to the more expierienced person is basic. We are all decent blokes, and help out where we can.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Richard
I look now and again and I guess I should look more, but this site is for all anglers, irrespective of their ability or lack of it. For such anglers to live solely in that enclave on this site, I fear, will not advance their knowledge or understanding very quickly in my opinion.

Most of the pieces I write for this site tend to be practical stuff - how to make. One subject that I personally have answered on at least three separate threads is about making cheese paste.

Now this criticism, if that?s what it is, from new and improving anglers must realise it?s a two way street, they must come into the big boys yard, as much as the big boys go into theirs. Advanced knowledge in most realms of life is only ever gained by association and communication with your peers.

Now for all those who read this and think I might be being a bit harsh, I have two rules in life in this area that were handed down to me, and those are. ?If you don?t know or understand something?? ?Ask about it!? And there are no dumb questions about a subject you know little or nothing about!

It?s also interesting note, I?ve also read from people who have joined this site in recent times, and commented about the knowledge value and information they?ve gained, through doing so.
Whilst not wanting to sound blas? or complacent about what you say, we must be getting a large part of it right as contributors, for people to make such respectful and acknowledging comments.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I struggled for years because for one reason or another I would not ask. I think for some people it is haveing the confidence to ask in the first place. The sooner people take that first step, the sooner a better angler they will become. You only live once, so make the most of it and ask.

F

Fred Bonney

I have to say that I tend to look at the section regularly and if there is a straight forward question I can respond to I do.
One of the problems I find though, is the person who asks the question does not respond,so have they seen it or not?.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just started a new thread on there fred.
Let's see if anyone responds. If they do, I hope some of you lads will join in.