Perch Talk

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any beginners who might be interested in some Perch talk.
I?m not an expert by any means, but if you are fairly new to the sport, and are looking for some help or ideas, why not ask a question about fishing for this species, now the colder months are approaching?
I?ll help all I can, and I?m sure there are others who will join in and offer their advice as well.

Rooster

Reaction score
Caught my first perch in ages just the other day. It was only small but it was great! I think they look great and I'm definately going to target some more. All I know is that they love worms, right? That's what I caught mine on. Is there any way of targeting the larger fish or is it simply a case of finding a shoal and hoping that they'll bite?

I recently got back into fishing these past few months and I don't want to stop so I'm definately up for some winter fishing. How about using small lures?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rooster,
There is an elderly chap near me that fishes the canal on a regular basis, with his home made small lures. He makes them out of cat or dog food tins.
As you probably know, perch are a predatory fish, so they will eat smaller fish. don't forget if you are useing a lure or livebait, that pike will also go for it. Their is a product for hook links which is not as wiry as the usual pike traces, maybe one of the other lads can put a name to it, or ask in youre tackle shop. I'm not sure ir it isn't called spider wire. Lures or livebaits will pick the bigger perch up. search around overhanging trees or moored boats, especially if they have not been moved for some time. Also reed beds, where they hide waiting for the next meal. And try pre-baiting with chopped worm or white maggot.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Baz not sure its spderwire i belive your talking about the braids with tungsten woven in. Araid i can't remember there name.

I would suggest using the lighter wire traces. I use 15Ib 7 strand and mini S's on the canal for perch and small Jack pike.

J

jason fisher

15lb seven strand is the thing to use.

big perch are best caught on multiple lobworms, small deadbaits (spratts), small live baits and lures.

T

Twainy

The pre-baiting approach is a killer when used with a worm or maggots as hook bait.
Perch often shoal up, especially when smaller and they get attracted to the loose feed. If you are catching small perch, keep loose feeding and the commotion will atract the larger specimens which do feed on the younger ones. You can tell if the bigger fish arrive as there will often be a disturbance as the small fish flee.
The real nice sized perch are often picked up on a lure but I don't know much about lure fishing.

J

jason fisher

richard from mine low light levels arent essential at all, especially when lure fishing i've had them in the middle of a red hot summer day.
the trick is to find the bait fish then get them feeding.

T

The Monk

I was privillaged to act as political rep for the Perchfishers for a few years and was an active member for a little longer. The small perch was my first fish as a grotty short panted schoolboy (to quote Bill Oddie)a truley amazing fish. A two pound specimen really is a sight for sore eyes, they are truely a fine scrapper and definately a back end fish. One of my favorite canal methods was the fly spoon (you dont appear to see these any more), from the boat trolling, its got to me those American thingies, with artificial worms trailed behind. But by far, or at least for me, iuts gotta be a pair of Avons on bite alarms, the tail of a lob and the speed feeder laced with maggot

T

The Monk

PERCHY TAILS.

As a child I was totally obsessed with local canal, so much so that I was constantly in trouble for being in places that children just shouldn’t have been in, and living on the edge of an industrial conurbation like Manchester, the amount of places to keep you in trouble was astronomical. Railway bridges, private ponds, mill lodges, old mind shafts, pipes over rivers with spiked railings on them; lots and lots of wonderful places in which to catch fish from, all very much dangerous and illegal, but I’m afraid the spirit of youth got the better of me and explore I did. Indeed when I think of the risk’s we would take to get that extra dip of the float, my heart goes in my mouth, but we survived those distant days and the memories linger on.

The Hunt’s by wash was a notable hotspot for big perch; it was a lock system on the canal that had been left in a derelict state with a sheet metal company occupying the land opposite the towpath. The large basin at the foot of the lock held some enormous fish with possibly a few which weighed in access of the three-pound mark. The basin lay in the shadow of an old Manchester and Leeds Railway iron bridge, this stood majestically like a huge medieval guard watching over the canal below.

T

The Monk

The big perch in Hunt’s always appeared to lie in the most inaccessible areas of the basin. A favourite haunt was directly below the bridge parapets towards the side of the sheet metal works. It was difficult casting an old tank aerial and Nottingham star back to the desired spot, and the only way to get the bait anywhere near these fish was to climb inside the bridge and straddle a kind of partition which separated the railways lines. Once inside the bridge you were invisible to the railway lines and the canal towpath (unless somebody looked up of course). Edging your way across the inside the bridge girders, and being careful not to look down, you could position yourself, rod, reel and bucket, in such a way as to be able to lower a bait directly over the fishes head, this being only a mere ten foot above the water!

Fortunately, I never hooked a large perch and I dread to think of the problems I would have encountered had I done so. The thought of hoisting a three-pound perch, from ten foot up, between my legs doesn’t bear thinking about. The smaller fish however, came up with little trouble, although it must have come as a bit of a shock to anyone passing below, seeing a perch flying out of the water.

The Coolers, which were large power station cooling towers, really were an hotspot for both perch and pike alone, access was however, again a little tricky. Most of the noted hotspots were situated opposite the towpath in the grounds of the power station, and it did take us some to discover how we could actually gain access. This was however discovered by chance. The power station occupied the off-side of the towpath while the cooling towers sat on the towpath bank and at a number of points bridges which held pipes crossed the canal, there was one pedestrian bridge for the workers, and on all our attempt to cross here, we had each time been either chased away or caught. One of the pipe bridges was our only chance. While fishing from the towpath one day we did notice some maintenance workers on a pipe bridge, when they had finished we discovered as trap door, which when lifted, gave access to the inside. It was a tight squeeze even for us and at times the pipes were hot and other times quite steamy. Passing the rods across the pipes was also difficult and it often required the test curves being stretched to their limits, and the bucket had to be left behind. The fishing was however superb, a fish a cast on some occasions. Indeed we took some quite exceptional perch in these warmer waters, mainly over sandy bottoms of which the area was largely made up. We made numerous trips to the far bank and sport was indeed plentiful until one day when we arrived at the bridge, we were horrified to find a new iron manhole cover that was locked, replacing the wooden door and the entrance to the bridge. We had been sussed and that was our lot really as we never experience the same sport while fishing from the towpath, great days though, if not a little hairy at times.

T

The Monk

oh sorry Baz, a speed feeder is something Phil Hackett put me onto last time he took me Perch fishing, its like a feeder with a drilled bullet attached on an elastic band, you can operate it single handed and load it with maggots, I think these match anglers used to use them?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Comes in handy when straddling the pipes then.
A good write up though mate, really enjoyable.
It brought back a few memories for me as well.

T

The Monk

cheers mate, yeah, fishing really was magic in those days, I suppose we lived in a surrealist world, no responsibility, no hassels, it really was a different England in those days, we had just gone through a war and all the adults where just concerned with building the country up again.

these days everthing is economical stratagised, and everyone is all for themself, I think Great Britain is a very sad place to live in the 21st Century and to be quite honest, at times I`ll be glad when my time comes and I`m the hell out of here!

L

liamangler

Baz,
wheres the best place to find perch on featureless park lakes?.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would start off with the margins mate.
As Bryan says there are allways underwater features, have a plumb around looking for where the water suddenly goes deeper. This could be a ledge, where the perch will patrol.
Also look out for small fry swimming about and try these areas, the perch won't be too far away. And any small fry leaping out of the water, a sure sign they are being chased.
At this time of year try different times of the day for fry jumping or being chased. And make a note of it. I used to find late afternoon a good time for spotting feeding fish.