Muddy waters

Yan

Reaction score
I had a walk round my local fishery (Larton, Wirral) with a view to fishing it later this week. The water was like pea soup. Can anybody explain me how very cloudy water affects the fishing? The ponds are supposed to contain ?mixed species?, any of which I would be happy to fish for. Is there any point going? I have little experience of these conditions (or any other for that matter!).

P

Phil Hackett 2

Don?t know the waters you refer to, but at this time of year as the water starts to cool down from the summer warmth, the algae in it start to die off and float to the surface, giving the green appearance you talk about.

Some anglers avoid these conditions like the plague others myself included would fish it.

I can see why some avoid very small waters, as decaying matter can decrease the oxygen levels to a point where fish do not feel like feeding. Low oxygen levels can make fish feel a bit sickly and lethargic.
That said a good blow with a bit of rain soon puts pay to such fish feelings.

If its very local there?s no harm in spending a couple of hours late afternoon until dark trying it out.

Also remember that you probably have up until the first frosts for making reasonable catches from these ponds and then your fishing for bites rather than numbers of fish.

All stillwaters come winter cool down greatly and fishing becomes harder because fish are cold-blooded creature. Cold-blooded creatures move about less as the water becomes colder and therefore need far less food, resulting in less fish to catch.

Rivers are slightly different, as fish have to expend energy fighting the flow, therefore need more food to replace the lost energy. This makes them feed more, so more fish active, more fish to catch.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yan, Good stuff from Phil, but do you mean pea soup as in the colour was literally pea green or just that the water wasn't clear?

If it was green then refer to Phil's message above, if it was just coloured, or cloudy as you call it, then that's usually just what you want. Coloured water gives the fish some cover and encourages them to drop their caution in daylight and feed, and it's also a sign that the fish are already feeding (stirring up the bottom and colouring the water).

So give it a go and come back and tell us what happened.

T

Twainy

Yan,
I'm from Wirral but I've never heard of Larton. Where is it?

Yan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm going tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.

Twainy - Larton is in Frankby, just past the cemetery on the way to Newton. It is mainly a livery stable, but they have a massive pet supply warehouse plus five fish ponds, including a carp pond. It was recommended to me by Wirral Angling Centre as a good fishery for beginners as it is well-stocked. It gets very busy of a weekend, loads of dads there with their three-year-olds when I went to have a look (and the afore mentioned muddy water). I will post when I get back tomorrow and let you know what it?s like.

Yan

Reaction score
We had a pleasant session at Larton today, we fished from dawn till dusk. The advice given by Phil and Graham above was sound as the fish did bite. We were quite happy float fishing and pulling out small (sometimes very small) roach and rudd. Some of our fellow anglers steered us away from the muddy pond towards one that was only two feet deep, clearer and reputed to contain specimen fish. The regulars there were stalking bigger fish and didn?t share our enthusiasm for tiddlers but no one we talked to had any luck.

F

Fred Bonney

I can remember fishing a rinsing pool(?) for a gravel digging years and years ago.The colour of the water was always a muddy orange,but no matter what bait we used,including hempseed on the hook,we always caught.
The fish,mainly roach and crucian carp, were always a pale colour,none of that blue hue on the roach,I assume from lack of light penetration,but grew to a good size.
Since that time I have never been put off by the water colour, if the fish are there you'll catch.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Coloured water, as opposed to colour in the water seems to improve the fishing. I've fished pools where the water has been so red you'd have sworn it was dyed but they always seemed to fish well, probably old clay pits. Green coloured waters are quite common too but they can pose problems as Phil pointed out.

The best pools are those that remain coloured all year round but they are few and far between. Whether its silt being pushed up by underwater streams that causes it I don't know, but they are usually excellent fisheries.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Just a thought Yan, have you had a go at Burton mere on the Wirral?

They are owned by a mate of mine and Graham's Tel. Terry Knight.

They are very good fisheries with the chance of catching larger roach and rudd than you describe.

Yan

Reaction score
Thanks Phil, I had a look at their web site and was wondering if it would be worth a visit. I might pop down for the day on Friday, just finished nights (judging by the time of your last post so have you!), so day off tomorrow.

Sam Martindale

Reaction score
Hi Phil I am a real novice i recently tried my luck at Burton mere were i fished the beech pool using a waggler with sweetcorn and bread.However after one 5 pound carp on the second cast it was a fruitless day, any advice.

D

des turnbull

larton is one of the best fisheries i have been to i did a full day session on the carp lake late last year on the pole and haad 200lbs of fish in 8 hours up to 12 lbs

adam phillips

Reaction score
larton is my local fishery and is feeding very well off the top and aruond the reeds.
for local fisherman goin to larton float fishing for carp i would recomend prawns.

Nick Ellis

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new to the area, living 2 mins from The Ridger. I've had a look at Larton, it looks gorgeous. Never fished it though so would appreciate some posts on species, approach to take and effective baits. Currently have a broken leg and off work till march next year. Happy Days! Therefore, if anyone is looking for a fishing partner in the week and don't mind giving me a lift to Larton or other venues, I'd be more than happy to provide thepacked lunchand a pint after the session.

I'll check the blog and leave my details to arrange

Cheers

Nick