Powerstation fish

T

Twainy

A few years ago I was told a story by a man who had been doing some contract work in a power station, Fiddlers ferry I think.
He told me about catching big carp, over 25lb from the pools beneath the cooling towers.
Apparently they werent difficult to catch once they were hooked as they had nowhere to go and no snags either.
Doesnt sound much like fun to me.
My point is that I've never heard of fish below cooling towers from anyone else so I'm beginning to wonder if it was a wind up.
What do you think?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I was down southampton near Fawley. Talking to a guy there worked at the Esso refinery they had a pond on site for workers only that contained carp to 45Ib. He was miffed as he was only a contractor and not able to fish. This was a warm water pond.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Forgot to mention St Helens Glass on the canal which as shut now but fished all year due to its warm water outflow. I remeber as a kid reading of people catching tropical fish there.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's right Bryan, I was one of them kids. It was opposite the sugar works. Just before the mucky mountains.
No wind up Twainy, it's very true as regards the power station.

T

The Monk

The Fidlers ferry pools quite possibly hold 20 lb carp, but I think they are part of a nature reserve, I do a bit of twitching at Moores next door and have visited FF a few times. The hot water outlets are of course famous for fish proliferation,

The St Helens Baz contained many rare species, chiclids and other sps,apparently these were released from a pet shop, Gary Knowles is the man to ask about the St Helens species, I have a few old articles from Ron Pendleton who used to write for NASG mag about them, back in the 70s. Many of the Northern canals and mill lodges also contained some excellent shoals of carp and rudd which used to congregate around the hot water outflows. One of the more famous outflows was the Peterborough Electricity Cut of course!

gooch

Reaction score
i once went on a tour of a power station where i was told that there are realy big eels in there system because thew get stuck when they suck water in from the river

T

The Monk

that certainly happens in the States in the large electric dams Gooch, I used to drink with a Cree Indian who lived on Cornwall Indian Reservation, New York State, they used to collect eel bits at the bottom of the dam and cook them up