quivertips for barbel?

Y

yoggy

I"ve recently been talking to a couple of anglers whom i met whilst on the Ouse,the conversation eventually got to quivertips.Both anglers agreed that quivertips and Barbel dont mix?,and that they never use them but do for chub.I personally both use quivertip and rod tip for my barbel fishing depending on the situation and have never had any problems.Is there any FM members that never use quivertip for barbel and why?.It would be nice to hear any views on this,,regards.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One the Trent and Swale I don't bother with quiver tips for either barbel or chub these days. The bites are pretty decisive.

On slower smaller rivers I would prefer a quiver, especially for species such as roach.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have tried leaving the quivertip off, but don't feel comfortable doing so. It's true the bites are mostly decicive,but even so,a tip gives a bit more warning.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use stright rods on the Ribble but do use quivers on the smaller rivers for Chub. I ind on the Ribble when fihing the far bank the tip is pulled around by the flow. Ocasional use it in low water conditions when there is not much flow.

rodders

Reaction score
If Barbel are the target (as they usually are) I don't bother with a tip. But I always have in the back of my mind that there could be a good fish ( roach, bream etc) that I won't/can't detect the bite.
So if its barbel then no tip and 10lbs + line.

For other species, tip and 7lbs line..Thats me

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I use Avon type tops almost all the time, but I often wish I'd taken my quiver tops for when the fish are being fussy and the flow isn't too strong.

I usually leave the quiver tips at home because I can't be bothered to re-thread the line and fit the isotopes.

I'm sure this laziness has cost me a few fish this season.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Never use Q-tips for barbel or chub. JW Avon top for chub. Shimano barbel rods and Avon type top for them. For the reason that have been given. I'll use the Q-tip if I'm fishing for roach or dace.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody think that these minute little knocks on the Q-tip are unhittable?
and remember the sawing effect that barbel sometimes give. I had a few barbel on the buzz this year, when it was discussed on here, but only that couple of times. My first indication was a little tap on the Qtip, then I felt the buzz. Whithout holding the line all the time, I wouldn't have known.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

Yes, I reckon sometimes those knocks are bites.

(I've said this before, so if anyone is bored of reading it - I'm sorry!)

One one occasion this year I had been getting loads of taps on pellet, but kept waiting for the so called inevitable wrap around.

After 3 hours of this I changed my position and almost pointed the rod and the lead and hooked my finger around the line. I also scaled down from large pellets on a large hook to 8mm pellets on a size 14.

In the following hour and a half (or so) I caught 6 Barbel and a Chub by striking at the tiniest plucks. I don't reckon any of these plucks would have moved the tip more than an inch, had it been set at a decent angle. I missed a few too.

I'm not saying that some of the knocks I missed weren't liners or Chub, but at least 6 of them were Barbel taking the bait in their mouth.

When I do get plagued with knocks I wish I had the quiver tops attached. We all know that Roach, Chub and most other species will drop a bait when they feel resistance, so why are Barbel any different?

This has only happened a couple of times this season and normally, like everyone else, I wait for the rod to go properly.

I'm never felt the hacksawing that Graham talks about.

Y

yoggy

Matt,,i agree with you there are several Barbel i have caught using the quivertip which i know i wouldn"t have caught using the rod tip,,thats why i always take along my q.tip on my trips.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Yoggy, it seems our opinion is unfashionable! I'm sure there are many people out there missing out on fish.

Y

yoggy

Matt,,thats why i posted this thread,the two anglers who i spoke to also said that most of their mates never used a q.tip!!!,,why using a q.tip is unfashionable i really dont know??.I"ve caught Barbel up to 11lb with the q.tip and never encountered any probs.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Don?t know the rivers you two fish, but on the rivers I fish a q-tip is next to useless. It collapses round to the rod blank section because of the volume of flow pulling on the line.

Northern rivers that drop 300-400 ft from source to mouth in spate call for a robust approach. 5-8 oz of lead, and there ain?t no q-tip made that will take that sort of weight for casting. Spate rivers carry lots of debris, particularly grass and bankside foliage which the velocity of the water rips from its anchorage (more so at this time of year). One small piece will and does clog the end ring up and when you?ve got 40 ?70 yards of line out, that?s the last thing you need to happen. The line locks up tight in that very small ring and you can neither reel in or out in many cases.

What I also find is that the immense tension created by the flow on the line and rod end, works to my advantage, a fish only has to fart near the bait and the rod end goes round. It also makes all rigs a fixed one as well. The mechanics of which have been discussed several times on here by people like John Conway.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Phil, obviously there's no point in using a quiver tip when there's a decent flow going (although an Avon type top is just a very siff quiver tip).

I fish the Rivers Don, Trent and Wharfe. Most of the time on the Don and the Wharfe a quiver tip doesn't bend much at all. I can often hold bottom on the far bank of these rivers with around 3/4oz of lead, sometimes less.

Obviously when there's debris coming down then the problem with small guides clogging is a huge issue, but most rivers are at 'normal' level most of the time.

The Trent is a different matter as because the river has so much power. Occassionally though I've found quivertips have been suitabel when upstream fishing on the Trent, especially in weirpools. They greatly aid the spotting of small dropbacks, but I appreciate this style of fishing is not the norm on the Trent.

Phil, if the flow of your river requires you to fish a stiffer top then of course that makes sense.

However on slower rivers such as the Great Ouse or Kennet the angler has a choice. Given that choice I don't understand why anglers would deliberately cut down on sensitivity.

I have a few theories as to why people fish Avon tops regardless and I don't think those reasons are to improve the chances of catching Barbel.

G

Gary Knowles 2

"a fish only has to fart near the bait and the rod end goes round"

Assuming the hook is in it's mouth that is ;o)

Y

yoggy

Phil,,i fish the Ivel and Ouse where most of the time i use q.tip for chub and barbel,,these are "smallish" rivers where flow and debris isn"t usually a problem.I have never fished a "BIG" river ie Trent,Severn.....so my experience with flows, debris, and big weights is zero!!!!Some might say a big fish from the Ouse or Ivel isn"t the same as one caught from the Severn,Trent etc...yet again i cant comment but when i do i"ll let you know!!!!! regards.