fixed spool vs centre pins.

L

liamangler

centre pins on stillwaters, do they compete with fixed spools?.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A fixed spool is more versatile and easier to use, but it was a real pleasure one day to watch an angler fishing the deep margins for carp. especially when he got a run with the centre pins built in bite alarm clicking away.
Jason, you have seen the peg where I witnessed this happening, in that corner of the lake. Could you imajine it mate?

J

jason fisher

that would be fun baz but i'd rather have a decent fixed spool for it any day.

L

liamangler

Baz, sure fixed spools are easier but would'nt you use a centre pin just for the experience!!.
I reckon centre pins are for an experienced angler. But whoever really wants to try and use one.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the expierience, yes mate.
I don't use one often enough to say I have mastered the art. They can be hard work trotting down a river.
As a youngster I used one only because I had nothing else. I used to have about five or six loops of line wrapped around my fingers, and cast it out sideways. I got used to it, but now I am un used to it.

L

liamangler

From the shows i have seen one home and leisure, 'go fishing' with john wilson.
you let out out line but keep it in your hand then cast letting go of the line, just like your finger when using a f/s.

jp

Reaction score
For some purposes they are unbeatable, no competition at all

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can get much better float control with a pin, by useing youre thumb as a break on the drum. It's the winding or batting in bit that takes the time up. For me anyway.