Another 62/63 Winter

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Anyone who remembers the 1962/63 winter as I do will know that it was the most severe in living memory. For nearly 3 months, still waters froze to the depth of 12 inches.

Peter Stone wrote about the time he walked from his home all the way to Oxford on the top of the Thames. Around Sheffield, many fish in samll lakes were wiped out.

If we get another major freeze like those times, the small commercial stillwaters will suffer the most in my opinion. Millions of fish, especially small carp are going to be wiped out due to lack of oxygen. Most of these waters are overstocked anyway.

Many of the older specimen fish, even in rivers will be killed.

Maybe next summer we will have to re-appraise our specimen fish targets. As more and more huge carp and other species will be found dead when the thaw sets in.

Could this happen? Could hundreds of commercial fisheries and big carp waters throughout the country be wiped out?

Somehow I feel we are overdue for a bit of really cold weather.

C

Coops

The owners will have to do some real work Ron and get out breaking the ice to oxygenate their waters. Otherwise they will have big bill for new fish if the doom and gloom forecast comes to pass.

Personally I'll believe the cold snap when I see it as you can bet your bottom dollar the forecasters won't get it right.

S

Shrek

But they are ALL saying that it's going to be a cold one this time round, more snow especially. Surely that's got to count towards it being fairly accurate.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There was another hard winter in the mid nineties. It is supposed to run in seven year cycles, and we are about due for one.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Breaking the ice?

What with?

When you have over a foot of ice and the max daytime temperature is no more than Minus 15 deg C with the wind chill factor added you have a major problem.

It was like this for weeks during 62/63!

What will be even more serious is that thousands of old people will die. They will not be able to afford the energy costs to keep themselves warm.

F

Fred Bonney

Bye Ron.
No seriously, I can remember the fish fatalities in our local ponds,fish that I never knew existed died.
Having said that it encouraged me at the age of 13-14, to experiment more with my fishing and realise that there are more to fishing than meets the eye.
Has anybody noticed the amount of berries inour hedgerows,the birds are leaving them alone,so they know something!

Brian Coster

Reaction score
I agree,

I am a member of a private stillwater, containing large browns (9lb average) and big rainbow trout (6lb average).

I shudder to think what would happen if this severe weather occoured again, i wouldn't even know where to begin to go about saving the lives of hunderd's of fish.

Once even more alarming is the rumour that this year is going to be one of the worst in the last 10 - 20 years. I just hope that a rumour is all it is, one thing's for sure, you definetly can't rely on the forecasters predictions !

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You can certainly forget trying to get to work. With 20 foot drifts and driving blizzards day and night for months, the country will come to a standstill. Forget about buses, trains, lorries, cars etc. Even horses will die of hypothermia if you take them out.

In some areas electricity will be cut off for weeks. Water supply pipes will be frozen solid and the only way you can get drinking water is to melt some snow with a fire - if you can get coal or firewood.

One of the biggest problems will be when vast snow drifts are up along the side of houses covering the windows. People are likely to suffocate.

During 62/63, vast areas of the sea around britain froze solid! In many ports, shipping stopped.

Certainly aircraft will not be able to land or take off.

With the failure of electricity supplies people will not be able to get any news on radio or TV

Panic stations will set in.

People will grab whatever they can to burn to keep themselves warm. Imagine a city the size of London without any power for 4 months. It could easily happen if we get a winter similar to 62/63.

S

sash

Perhaps they weather men have signed an agreement with all the boiler repair companies that seem to have sprung up this year?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One thing in favour of some of us who are anglers is that we possess thermal clothing which a lot of the average Joe Public do not own. We have a better chance of surviving.

The people living in the centre of the major cities will fare worse. No wood to burn, no rabbits to catch for food.

As icy blasts from the arctic persist, winds up to 100 mph for months on end, powerlines will be made brittle with wind chill down to minus 85 deg C. They will fall down.

By April next year, millions of people will lay frozen to death under the ice. Then the thaw will come causing more incredible suffering.

Most of Britain will be flooded. London will be 30 to 40 feet under water. Towns on the coat such as Brighton will cease to exist.

Let's hope the prophets of doom in the weather depertment are wrong.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And by May, a massive movement of the Ocean floor in the mid-Atlantic will create a series of titanic Tsunamis which will power towards the Eastern seaboard of the USA and of course towards the British Isles.

A number of cataclysmic walls of water, up to 400 feet high carrying enormous icebergs will slam into the coasts of Ireland Britain Southern France and Portugal.

New York, Boston, London and the whole of Portugal will be wiped out.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And the 6.59 from Manchester to Liverpool, calling at Hunts cross, Edge Hill, and Widness North will be stopped.But not nececerrily in that order.

J

jason fisher

ron have you been drinking.
or is your new job to be one of them blokes standing round with a sandwich board with the end of the world is nigh written on it.

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
Hate to spoil the fun here, but this winter is not lining up to be anything special. A lot of the hype about a record winter has been created by a couple of commercial weather sites looking to pull visitors/customers to their pages.

Best info I have to date is that we can expect a slightly cooler (1 or 2 degrees average) winter than the past few years. But nothing is indicating that huge snowstorms and frozen lakes are on the way - at least no more than a normal winter anyhow.

Having said that, I have 2500 DIY Igloo kits (just add water) coming into stock - get em quick before they're gone.

J

John McLaren

Ron,are you writing the script for the latest Spielberg blockbuster? Will a Sundridge Specimen Active Suit be enough? I ask myself

J

jason fisher

if we get the sort of winter rons on about setting your feet on fire won't be enough never mind a suit.