Air-Drying Baits

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
First of all, great article guys, very useful! Secondly, I?ve actually just won some bait and been given the choice of what I would like. I was gonna ask for ready-mades because I just don?t have any freezer space spare! However, if your method works, I think I will be asking for activate-8?s! The only thing I?m worried about is that I will have in the region of 5kg. If I were to use the two-inch spacing as you suggest, I will need a heck of a lot of space and pellet!! At present, I have neither!! I also live in a first floor flat, which makes it a bit tricky with the smell!!
Have you got any other ideas methods how I can dry out the frozens without taking up too much room??
Cheers!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Great article amd something for me to try at some point in the future.

Does this process effect the Pellets, or to be more precise, do the pellets get moist and go mouldy, or does the mositure evaporate from the lot?

R

roto fryer 1

forget using pellets.
get one of those string bags and hang it up in the warm. you can do a couple/few kg at a time & dont forget to turn your boilies once or twice a day. finished in a week or so

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Even more well thought out excellent advice. I will have to give this ago this winter ready for the next season.

M

Malcolm Bason

Rik/Stu - nicely written article.

Don't you find that by rehydrating the baits in a glug, that they become softer, quicker?

Or do you, either of you, limit the amount of time you rehydrate.

In my comparitively limited experience, I find the baits can sometimes take on too much liquid and thus become less practical in their usage!

I suppose it depends on the type of bopilie to start with and its relative hardness?

R

roto fryer 1

air dried are not intended to be hook baits. there are ways of keeping your hookbaits soft but that, i guess, will be another article from the dynamic duo

B

Big Rik

instead of just scoffing at other anglers articles Roto, why don't you put your masterful mind to work and produce something.

I've never seen you actually give any advice, just denegrate other peoples.

R

roto fryer 1

cant see where you are coming from here rik.
where is the scoffing?
seeing you and stu seem to do articles often aimed at those with limited ability or knowledge i just assumed that would be a natural progression.

B

Big Rik

I'll call you a cheeky twat before everybody else does.

Come on then masterful fishcatcher Roto, let's see you produce something worthwhile and interesting.

R

roto fryer 1

masterful and interesting? lol
i cant see the point in using pellets as the vast majority of anglers buy by the 1 kilo from their local tackle shop and generally dont have enough pellets to do more that a few boilies at a time. i generally dry a few kilos at a time in a string bag ( see above). u mentioned very briefly the use of a stocking etc to air dry: this i think is more relevant to the vast majority of anglers.
there is also a problem in rehydration if you are using the softer baits like m-tech as they can very easily turn to mush or be too soft to effectively put on a hair.
the use of oils to preserve hookbaits is fine in summer but not such a good idea in winter, however, perhaps winterised salmon oil could be good here.
glugging or over flavouring is fine in theory but there has been a general move away from this in the last few years except maybe for single popups.i myself stopped this when i managed to burn the waterproofing of my bivvy when resting a glugged bait on the top !!!
there are other ways of preserving baits with the use of sugar for example.
not one of your best mate as it discussed one method whilst seemingly discounting others.
my brain hurts

B

Big Rik

that's better Paul, giving an opinion and some facts based on experience.

I've tried drying in nets, both large and small amounts and found that the baits go mouldy very quickly.
I've tried in the garage, in the house and outside and I can't stop them going mouldy.

I also haven't found air dried baits going mushy when glugged.
Currently I'm using A-8 (still) and the Source and neither go mushy when re-hydrated with glug.

J

jason fisher

i've never had a mould problem with net dried baits as long as you don't put em straight into the net after boiling, they need a couple of days on drying racks first.
preferably in the airing cupboard or some where reasonably warm.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
For me personally you are always gonna run the risk of mould, the trick is to get this down to a minimum or better still none at all. But mould is a surface layer and all said in done it will wash off leaving the bait back in good working order. If I had a tad of mould on my baits would I still use them? Too right I would, these carp will not turn down the bait in my opinion! Your thoughts?

F

Frothey

a lot of fishmeals definately benefit from a bit of mould...within reason.....

B

Budgie Burgess

Re air dried going mouldy.This is definately down to base mixes.Never had a problem with bird food base mixes.Most mould is caused by people putting them into sealed buckets to soon and the resulting condensation making them damp and therefore go mouldy.I f you have cocked up just wash them off and start again!Carp aint that fussy!

R

roto fryer 1

im lucky i have warm air heating and i put the sacks straight in front of the blower so they dry quite quickly. you can get problems with mould if you dry in cooler conditions, however, if this is just a few baits it is not really a problem.
a lot of the time sugars are mistaken for mould growth

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
I thought the point of drying using the pellets was to 'share' flavours/odours. If you aren't fussed about this what's to stop you pre-holing your boilies and sticking them in the oven - directly on the racks - at 50deg (particularly effective in a fan oven) for an overnight dry? I've also found that stale shelf life boilies seem to work well if you leave them in CSL for a couple of hours.

You can also buy bulk packs of silica gel from photographic suppiers to leave in your bait buckets to ensure dryness.

B

Big Rik

it's another point Ian which is in the article.
Some people read it all, some don't......

S

sash

I always thought the white deposits on fishmeals were the active ingredients breaking down? Must admit, whatever it is, it hasn't made any difference to catches.