Waterproofing Bite Alarms

G

Gary Barton

After fishing in the most horrendous weather this weekend my bite alarms have shown me they do not like sitting in 9 hrs of continuous rain.

I?m sure I read once that there is a way to waterproof the electrics, silicon spray or something like that. However, I'm not sure so can anyone recommend a way to do this?

Thanks

Gary

stu

Reaction score
I can sympathise Gary. My son and I thought we were going to take off Sunday night!

Cant help with your alarms. Surely they should be water proof? What make are they?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

What alarms have you got.

I would of thought the circuit boards (most are) are coated in a varnish to help prevent this. You can get silcone sprays to help prevent/protect it. Do a search on Google.

G

Gary Barton

They are the ones Humberside Angling were/are doing @ ?20 for 3. I know you get what you pay for, but apart from not liking the 9hrs of rain they seem to be a good buy.

Would varnishing or Silicon spray be better. If I varnish them do I need a special varnish or would any varnish do.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I use my Fox mini microns in all sorts of weather. They have been dunked in the Trent and rained on for hours.

Still work.

F

Frothey

make sure they are bone dry before you seal it, you'll just seal in the moisture otherwise....

G

Gary Barton

Thanks guy's

I think I will go with the varnish as advised by Warren.

B

Big Rik

Wol has extensive knowledge of nail varnish, as well as eye liner, blusher etc etc

J

jason fisher

you are actually better off using a non conductive epoxy resin than using varnish.
that's what is used in military spec electronics.

you could try some araldite but not all araldites are none conductive.

B

Budgie Burgess

Thats a good point Jason.Anyone know what resins would be best for this?

T

Tim Richardson 2

Aeroplate is a dielectic lubricant designed to waterproof servos and recievers. It is sold in the US but I'm not sure about over here. A R/C modelling shop should sell it or something similar.

C

Cakey

nail varnish eats into plastics etc so its no no
araldite is a shit when something goes wrong and a bit needs changing so it also no no for me

what I do on a lot of cheaper alarms that come in for repair is to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the case ,this cures 99% of the problems just letting the water out.
then take the case and seal it,a real small bit of silicon sealer round the case.

if you really want to seal the pcb then go to a shop called Maplins and buy pcb sealing spray.

C

Cakey

p.s. like Frothey says they must be dry before you do anything so stick them in the airing cupboard for a couple of days prefably with the cases off

M

Mel Crighton

You could do what a lot of my Yatching friends do with the electrics and that is to use Melted candle wax, or Shellac, just warm it up and apply , if you want to take it off a hair dryer and melt it away.

G

Gary Barton

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mel,

That sounds like s good cheap simple idea, thats the one for me.

richard clarke 2

Reaction score
I have always just used a blast of WD40 inside and out, works a treat. Have never suffered from damp problems on any of my alarms which include 3 Daiwa sensitrons, 3 Fox ES and 3 Fox micron P's.

Spent 7 days in rain and snow, heavy frosts etc in France in April with my Daiwa's and all I did was give em a good blast at the start of the week. Never had a problem.

Rich