Help...I'm a newbie

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
I have just started to fish on the advise of my Mother-in-laws Husband and I am loving it...my 7 year old son and I have been to 3 fisheries now and are having great fun. but my question is this...what is the minimum kit i need? I have a little 6m graphite pole but what else do I need as I hate to borrow from my in laws all the time...I am also interested in trying float fishing as well as pole fishing...hope you experts out there can help

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Improve your coarse fishing mag as a review of some kits. Theses might be worth a look.

I also believe Matt Hayes TFG are doing some srarter kits.

T

The Monk

you`ll also need a few batteries of carp rods, long range, margin , French pits etc. loads of reels, a selection of bivvies, bedchairs, rod pods, fish finders, bait boat, carp sacks, weighing slings, unhooking mat, scales, decent set of photgraphic equipment, laptop, bivvy telli and dvd player, power packs and rechargers, a decent van

then theres the bait of course?

god I`d hate to be starting all over again

errrr good luck mate

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions Monk....now all I need to do is win the lottery or dump the missus for a rich heiress somewhere....anybody got any suggestions on who is rich and single at present...

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ian, minimum requirement for a days float fishing?

A Shakespeare 13 ft match rod. ?40
An Okuma Match reel ?30
Spool of 4lb Maxima ?3, a spool of Shakespeare hook length ?2.
3 or 4 wagglers, Anchor shot in dispenser, a packet of No,18 maggot hooks, a hook tyer and a disgorger. ?12
A landing net handle and net ?12
1 pint of maggots ?2.

All that for ?100, its not a lot when you say it quick is it? The initial outlay is always the most obviously, then its just a case of replacing or improving, remember fish don't know how much your gear cost.

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Thanks Graham for that...I'll start trawling the tackle shops around Rochdale...

Mel have you got any pictures of judith...not sure what she looks like (just in case)

M

Mel Crighton

Ian BBC1 12.30 daily Eggheads the one on the extreme right, looks like shes got a fat lip.

T

The Monk

Ian, The Programme Centre, number 1 Livsey Street (off Drake Street), call in for a brew mate!

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Outstanding Monk...also if your passing the infirmary come up to my office in the old A&E and I'll make you a brew (or I'll get some student nurses to make you one)

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Mel, I've just found judith on Google.....I've treated victims of Road Traffic Accidents that look better than her...after their face has hit the windscreen

M

Mel Crighton

Bet you would not turn Down Kerry McFadden then, she's free, just get in the queue.

Neil Howard 4

Reaction score
Ian. Why not come to the fish in on the Ribble at Ribchester. You and your son will be more than welcome soon find a pair of rods and reels for you. Neil

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Neil,
thanks for the offer mate....might just take you up on that...not too sure when I can go out again as this weekend my brother comes down from Fort William and I havnt seen him in ages but I am really hooked on this fishing lark and want to get out there and learn as much as I can.

Neil Howard 4

Reaction score
Ian. Sorry fish in on the 4th of dec.Please read John Conway thread F.M Ribble chub fish 3. In the coarse fishing topics Neil

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Ian any time you want a look at the Ribble just ask as long as its Sat night or Sunday(work nights) will be able to sort you out some gear.

I use to work at the Rochdale Observer on Drake st. Its a small world when i worked there i knew nobody in Rochdale now everybody i talk to lives there.

Ian Mundey

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that has left me posts on this thread...it has been really nice that the experienced fishers take time to answer questions form FNGs like me. Just goes to show that the Fishing fraternity is just that.....

Cheers Guys