Using Stimulants

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
I just picked up a magazine and one of the articles the guy used a red bull style drink to mix his ground bait.

The suggestion was that it increased fish activity in the area.

I don't think I'd be happy dumping a load of caffeine into a fish tank, so into a lake doesn't seem fair.

Plus, unless fish metabolism works in the opposite way to human, I would have though boosting the metabolism in such a way would actually suppress appetite while increasing activity level - leading to agitated skinny fish?

Or am I missing something here?

F

Frothey

people have used coffee granules/syrup as an additive for years, though someone was talking about filling pva bags with instant coffee a while ago....

J

jason fisher

once used coca cola on maggots for roach and caught really well, this wasn't however by design i knocked the can of pop into my bait box and didn't notice.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The caffine would have no serious effect on the lake there is more put in at the end of sessions by empting flask etc.

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
I'm not talking small amounts, the article suggested 1 litre of red bull style drink - it has 8 times the caffeine of filter coffee - plus other stimulants such as taurine etc.

If a stimulant encourages feeding then why not use a controlled dose of T3 or a T2 derivative (basically pro-steroids that boost metabolism and raise blood temperature)?

My thought process is that if you boost metabolism, then it doesn't immediately encourage a need for food - quite the opposite. Then, once the stimulant is out of the system a period of lethargy usually follows as the endocrine system recovers.

Can anyone shed any light on fish metabolism, or any papers that investigate this - because if a stimulant actually does improve feeding with no harm to the fish I may have a few secret ingredients that could help - in a more measurable manner than a bottle of fizzy drink.

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
as a further thought, couldn't I try some decent spliff in the ground bait and then bait up with chocolate boilies?

F

Frothey

pizza over hemp pellets.....

not that difficult johnathan, austrian robot grunts a lot and uses large weapons whilst fighting off another robot.... :)

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
T2 and T3 are both just off the A4, lots of planes there.

Or chemically are designed to accelerate thyroid activity, one being a lab produced version of the the thyroid hormone (a true steroid) and the other being a pre-cursor designed to trick the body into naturally producing more thyroid driving hormones. both have other thermo-metabolic effects that might be more useful in fishing than the thyroid activity.

A bit boring and probably far out of the ball park for a Carp forum.

rather than hanging it out here, I'll see if I can find a fishologist to annoy and then discover whether it is a route worth pursuing.

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
I'm going to walk quietly away and get my coat, I'd hate to see whole threads about the new boring guy springing up

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
no ologies, just a need to use really big words to try and sound clever. It's a curse, and the medication doesn't work after 6pm

B

Big Rik

he probably read one of Roto's comments and almost fell asleep...

Ian, appetite stimulators have been the basis for carp baits for at least 25 years.
Nothing boring or wrong in that.
Most of the time they don't work and it's more of a confidence thing.

M

michael rouse

Bet some random angler has tried weed in his baits....or in PVA bags....sorry just thought it may be a good idea.