Upgrading my camera

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am after upgrading my photo system and the first thing will be to get a new camera.

At the moment I have a Fuji Finepix S 602 Zoom. I am looking for something that has a few more megapixels, has at least an 8 times optical zoom, can do macro down to 1 cm and infact has all the features of my present camera but must have half the weight and the batteries must last at least 10 times longer.

The last thing I want is an SLR. Too bloody heavy.

Any ideas?

M

Malcolm Bason

get a digital slr with all this extra dosh you got coming in!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Much too heavy Monk. And you have to carry all those blinkin lenses.

I am talking about digital by the way Malcolm.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Amongst other types of shots yes.

A SLR "type" camera would be ideal. But not an SLR there is a big difference.

Clikfire

Reaction score
How about this one ?

The HP Photosmart 945 digital camera with HP Instant Share delivers sharp photos and big zoom with 5.3 MP total resolution and 56x total zoom (8x precision optical lens, 7x digital). Snap, select and share photos right from the back of your camera using HP Instant Share. Instantly preview photos anywhere - even outdoors in bright sunlight - with the electronic viewfinder, and use the automatic or manual controls to get the results you want for more creative shots. And with the touch of a single button - easily and conveniently send photos and video to various locations using the optional HP Photosmart 8881 dock, all while recharging your camera batteries!

?233.24 inc vat from www.ebuyer.com

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Olympus C5060 Wide.

Ron, i seriously cannot rate this camera highly enough. It takes stunning pictures, (and video if you want it) is easy to use and the main reason i bought it was the ease of use with self take pics using the flip over screen and infra red remote. Tony Miles was round my house a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed with it. Phil Smith since seeing it has been out and bought one as have a few other mates. I wont go on any more and let you decide once you've read this review.

Copy and paste this link into your browser....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c5060.html

M

Malcolm Bason

you can get digital slr's now Ron, Monk'l put you right I'm sure, but if I hasd the dosh, thats what i'd get - but they cost a fortune.

T

The Monk

a D1X is a digital SLR Malcome of course, much more versatile than a non SLR digital

You would only need one lense really ron, a 28-80 at about f1.8/2 will suite most angling situations, I only take a 600mm for any wildlife which might happen along

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, The Canon Powershot S1 IS Pro.

Three megapixels. 10x zoom, cost ?294.00

Good enough for magazine work?

See this month's front cover of Coarse Fisherman, my article inside, and the Kryston advert and decide for yourself.

And I've got an A3 print off it that is superb quality.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The main problem with digital SLRs is the weight.

And for what I want from a camera - the price.

I'll nip into Sheffield tomorrow morning to Jessops and have a good look.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've had a look at the write up and seen Wol's barbel picture.

The Olympus looks the camera for me.

Anyone want a Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom in perfect condition with two 128 mb memory cards going really cheap?

Offers?

C

Chris Bishop

Seriously, once you've decided what you want shop around. Jessops will price match if you find a good deal online, which means you can buy it from a shop and have a play around first. A good wide capability is more important for fishing pics than tele most of the time. Warren's stunning barbel pic looks like it was done at the wide end, look how sharp the fish is, corking picture.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And that's a hell of a bargain for a camera with a 10X optical zoom lens and image stability, which means, for anyone who doesn't know, no camera shake at full zoom.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
One of the most important points about this camera too, is that it has a flip round screen so that it faces the front, enabling you to see what you're taking when you're taking a self take shot.