Ask a stupid question...

Anthony Dixon 2

Reaction score
Hi gang...wonderful and informative site!
I'm a born again angler...recently restarted after a 12 year absence and loving every second.
I'm currently in the process of re-learning everything I once knew (had 20 years expierence prior to my break) and most things are starting to come back to me now!
This may sound strange but in my previous fishing life, I never had the pleasure of owning a rod from new...always bought second hand!
I've now started afresh and bought all brand new gear.

My stupid question is...
I bought a pretty decent float rod which has a cork handle.
The rod is in the state I purchased it in...the cork handle is sealed in a tight plastic wrap.
After fishing in torrential rain on monday, I have just checked my rod and found that some parts of the cork are damp under the plastic.
I know this is sounding daft, but every rod I've used before hasn't had a plastic covering on the cork and I'm inclined to think that the cork should be allowed to breathe.
I'm kinda thinking that after you've stopped laughing you might tell me to remove the plastic, but because fishing technology has change so much since my break, I'm not sure if the plastic is there for a reason.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could put me out of my misery!

Anthony

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tony,
I still have the plastic on one of my Harrison match rods from about 12 years ago. It has got a water stain under the plastic but it doesn't bother me.
If you want to remove the plastic go ahead, the cork scrubs up well with warm soapy water.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Not daft at all. The plastic is there to keep grubby paw-prints off the cork while the rod's in the shop. Once you're sure you love the rod and don't want to take it back, peel it off. Remove your own subsequent grubby paw-prints with warm ,soapy water and a soft nail-brush.

Anthony Dixon 2

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice lads.
I think I'll leave the plastic on till it looks overly grubby.
I suppose the water stain under the plastic might well give the rod a certain distintive charm.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Totally agree with Alan.

Get that plastic off the handle as quick as you can or the cork will rot.

The whole idea of having cork is that even with todays so called high tech plastics, natural cork is still the best material of all for fishing rod handles. It is comfortable, non slip, cool in summer and warm in winter, does not compress and looked after will last a lifetime.

However if wrapped with plasic, cork, a natural substance will not breath.

Yoiu don't want to try and grip slippy handles either.