Mahseer question

John Allen

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why captured mahseer are always shown with thick twine coming out of their mouths in catch shots. I have often wondered this & the John Bailey article in this months Coarse Fisherman reminded me to ask the question. I had assumed that this twine was used to tether he fish in the river, prior to photos being taken. If so, how is this tethering achieved?

S

sash

It's known as a stringer John and allows the fish time to recover from the usually very hard fights. It does them absolutely no damage at all and ensures the fish go back safely. Believe me the locals treasure the welfare of these fish far higher than the average UK angler does.

T

The Monk

they also use stringers on other species like Wels for instance, could you image the size of keepnet you would need for these things?

Sadly, the Golden Mahseer is on the verge of extinction, this variety likes in the upper reaches and is prone to pollution through Indians industrial activity

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm... Mahseer (Northern or Southern, with or without string protruding from their mouths)... very interesting...

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Brahmaputra (spelling) Paul?

Tiger fish head at NASA do Paul?

Hi mate.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. NASA, Carp Soc, CAA, local clubs etc etc.

Ganges, Cauvery (Kaveri)and a good few other Indian rivers.

Congo (not a place for a short, let alone an easy, session).

Then lots in South America.

And here.

It goes on.

To my cost!

S

sash

Hi Paul,

I've been trying to get hold of a copy of "Somewhere down a crazy river" for ages now, do you have a copy spare you'd be willing to sell or know of any? Any help would be appreciated.

Plus, any more plans for filming? What was the Congo trip for, giant tigers?

B

Budgie Burgess

Paul I remember that head.Also that you very kindly dug out all your catfish slides for my self and Rob Dixon after one of your talks at (if I remember)a PAC or NASA do.You got any thing exotic in the pipe line?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's a very great pity that the Mahseer - Barbus tor, is on the verge of extinction. They are a fabulous fish.

The nearest to these fish I have caught have been the Largemouth Yellowfish - Barbus kimberleyensis, of the Orange Vaal system of South Africa. They can reach 60 lbs although the biggest I ever caught was just over 25 lbs.

Again a superb species. The problem here is that many anglers in South Africa kill them.

Even more interesting is the mighty Barbus species of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.

One day.......

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just seen the two above:

1)Paul I remember that head.Also that you very kindly dug out all your catfish slides for my self and Rob Dixon after one of your talks at (if I remember)a PAC or NASA do.You got any thing exotic in the pipe line?

2)Even more interesting is the mighty Barbus species of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.

Replies:

1)"The Skull". Yes I still have it, and it still scares devil out of me. Serious fish, the Goliath. Serious, dangerous territory its home-turf, too; even more dangerous these days than the couple of times I travelled and fished it. As for stuff in the pipeline -- haven't I done enough, fellas?!

2)I had 'a bit of look' over in eastern Turkey for these fish during the mid-late 1990s. The giant 'mahseer' (they're NOT barbus mahseer, but a type of puntius) are simply not there, just a lot of carp. Too high up the rivers, I reckoned. Doubt whether they are around in any numbers or real size in the lower, "Hit the dirt! Incoming!", Tigris and Euphrates Rivers these days either. Saddam himself, I understand, rather liked fishing - with high explosive and hand-grenades.