Barbel/Chub $1M Question

• Thread starter Steve Lovegrove
  • Start date
S

Steve Lovegrove

OK Chaps, armed with the info kindly donated in this forum (Thanks Chaps) I am now gagging to get out there. I arrive at the river bank armed with the oodles of information taken from mags and alike, I've chosen my swim/swims and I want to start fishing.

Now being a novice on the rivers I'm looking for a nice and safe option to start my campaign (I don't want to get too cocky on my first expedition).

If you had to offer one piece of advice
regarding tactics/rig/approach etc before I get my line wet, what would it be?

I know, I know, you've told me where to go, I'm now asking how to go, I'm going to be asking you to land it for me next.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Don't be too ambitious to start with. Pick a known good swim, bait and tackle, and catch one on that before you get any more adventurous.

S

Stuart Bullard

Only being in my third year I still remember my first days fishing like it was yesterday. Armed with spanking new shimano gear I went with only one thought in mind, and that was to look for fish holding areas. I didn't really have a clue, but I had read every monthly and weekly mag for at least 6 months (I am not joking) before I wet a line and it seemed to me that you can have the dogs ******** gear and rigs, but if they aint there!!!! 2nd, as Graham says. I was too ambitious. On my 3rd outing I went for barbel and, having read Tony Mile's article on pre-baiting prior to dusk, hooked into a very large barbel after 5 minutes. Frankly, I didn't have a clue how to play it and when I lost it (hook pull) I swore I would not fish for them again until I learned the ropes. Anyway, good luck, but be warned, it becomes addictive!!