Catch Reports

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A FISHINGmagic fan has written in to suggest that a forum category, perhaps called 'Catch Reports' would be a good idea.

He wrote: "......I've just been putting together some catchsheets for the boys I'm going to France with in June. In the process I thought it would be a good idea to put some together for the lake, so that as each new group arrive they can check out the sheet & see what's been taking, where & on what & put down their catches & so on. Unfortunately I realized that if you turn up with a van load of Tutti-Fruity and the sheet says "Bundles of Catches on Fishmeal" it's going to be a bit of a downer. Then I thought, no such problem if people submitted their catches to a web site when they got home. However this would create a hell of a lot of work for you collating the details ............ But not if it was set up like a forum."

I kind of like this idea, but not just for French carp lakes but for all waters, anywhere.

The format being that you can return from a session, add the venue to the category and write a very brief report, just listing the basic details, ie, swims, baits, methods, fish caught and a few brief comments. As the threads in the category increase you can first do a search for the venue and then add your own report. Or add the venue if it doesn't already exist.

Could I have your comments please? Is it a good idea, or not? Feel free to suggest a better idea if you have one.

R

Rob Brownfield

Good idea, but I think it will have to be by region as I know several waters called The Warren at different ends of the country. That way there should be no confusion.

You may need to ask permission from the owners though, but not to sure on that point. I think any owner would jump at the chance of some free advertising.

I think it would have to be done in a form type format, otherwise it would be difficult to look up say, what bait is working just now, etc, is all the info was just added in a lump....if that makes sense....so..there would be headings such as Water, Date, Fish Caught, Bait, Swim, Weather, Comments etc

J

Jonathan Faro

good idea as long as theres a Blank report for me

Jon

A

Andrew Thomas

I agree.......good in theory but totally dependent on member information. Can't say that the corresponding service on AnglersNet is a great success, [see entry for Worcs], and the Barbel fishing world report section has been discontinued.

However, if it can be made to work then it would be extremely useful......if only to we blankers!

G

Gary Knowles

Good idea but I cant see it working.

At the moment people post a message on the forum asking for information on lakes where they are planning a trip and ask for information. I have given info to about half a dozen people now off line on venues home and abroad where they are planning trip's. i don't mind this at all as I'm sure its a great help to people but I for one wouldn't be bothered filling in a report and posting it after every trip I made.

Also, and more importantly, when you go to France do you really want to know what has come out the week before and on what bait ?. It would be a real downer the week before your trip that had been planned all year to find that the last people on had caught bugger all. All it would do is send you in with a negative frame of mind.

C

Carp Angler

or allow you to not make the same mistakes that the previous people had made........................

J

Jonathan Faro

come on how longs it going to take

Weather
Started hot, then hot adn windy, then cool, then freezing with a strong wind, then looked like raining, then sunny, then cloudy, then hot, then cold and by the time I got home it was hot again

Fish caught

Nil Pois

Bait

Sweetcorn, with grounbait of sweetcorn comin goff on the cast

J

James Bradshaw

Mind if I ask how you get blank lines in here when you type in? I can't even get a paragraph break! Thanx in advance...!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
James, unless it doesn't work on your keyboard, simply the return key mate.

P

Peter Morton

Hit the enter key to space downward.I only found out

myself

last

week.........lol

J

James Bradshaw

Okay - let's give it a go... (Hmm... not showing in THIS screen - I'll see how it comes out...)

J

James Bradshaw

Ah well - it's not as if I wanted to be coherent anyway...! <g> But thanx for trying, chaps.

P

Philip Inzani

I think you have to accept that people will not always fill in catch reports and so I would not use them myself for up to date venue latest sort of thing unless I knew an angler posting on it myself. Where they are useful is for very general info, for example the sort of species I could expect to find there. I know this is probably not relevant for a lot of people but an example is a trip I made to Australia, I used the catch reports from web sites to try and find out which venues held Carp in the areas I visited. It was very useful in that sort of instance.

Perhaps you could swing with it for a while and see how it goes ?

R

Ray Wood

1st Catch report comming in............
Venue: Chalet Lake, Metz. France
Date: 16 - 23 June 2001
Swims fished: From Far Side Dam to all along chalet side of lake.
Weather: Heavy Rain Sun, Mon, Tues.
Hot..Hot Sunshine Weds, Thur & Fri
Bait: Boilies Various sizes Fishmeal & Fruit Flavours, Very Large Salmon Pellets, Large Tiger Nuts.
Catch: 9 Carp Mid 20's / 1 Carp 33lb /
9 Cat 5lb to late 20's / 1 Cat 30 /
2 Cat late 30's

Carp mainly taken on Tiger Nuts, But had to be stalked.
Cats predominantly taken on V/Large Salmon Pellet

not much happening in daytime catches usually between 9pm & 7am.

Several big cat lost due to their velcro mouths cutting through silkworm airrigs, changed to snakebite & lost no more (15lb rig line)

Not a lot happening at all in comparison to reports of catches from previous visitors to the venue, presumed that we had just caught the end of spawning as the little movenent there was seemed to be spawning, or it was just one of those weeks.

Not whitstanding our bad luck, I would highly recommend venue & will no doubt try my arm again in the not too distant future.

Best wishes to all.
Ray

P

Philip Inzani

Other problem with catch reports of course is that some people with use them as advertising features.

(-: