Is John Wilson a fake

Aaron steadman

Reaction score
i have heard many stories about John Wilson being a fake for example people catch the fish for him and he justs land them etc, can anyone enlighten me on this

G

Gary Wilson

Yes this is a true fact.

Gary.

P.S. I have just returned from fishing my local canal where I caught a 7lb roach and a 26lb barbel in 2 casts.

John Wilson a fake? DONT TALK RUBBISH!!!!

J

John Hepworth

He's actually Father Christmas in disguise. Can be seen at any branch of Boots from early December.

Ergo

Reaction score
No I think the John Wilson you see is the real John Wilson.

If you are refering to the catches that you see on TV, owing to the constraints of filming, I am guessing that he probably has some help.

THe methods that he espouses are still valid if not always as prolific as it seems.

Just an observation!!

W

William Spencer

did any of you lot visit nottingham when the world champs were held there?
didn't think so.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I remember the name: John Wilson, in the 60s. No more than a kid. He was a Londoner who moved to Norfolk and fished a lot with a certain Rotherham bloke.

Can anyone remember his name?

I can't.

John is obviousy a decent angler. He even spent some time catching Vundu on the Zambezi.

John has the ability of makeing two roach sit perfectly still in each hand whilst they are photographed.

S

stuart palfrey

John Wilson,the daddy.Love him or hate him how could you hate the guy.He puts up a good program in a barren world of fishing programs.I think the green eyed monster has a lot to do with this thread.I admit i would rather be in J W'S,shoes than in work.Think about it he gets paid for what we enjoy?. ..........'

T

The Monk

Johns not a bad lad, did a stand next to his a few years ago at the NEC, in fact I have a picture of him giving my son one of his rods. I think John promotes angling in a fun vane and does an excellent job

Anthony Dixon 2

Reaction score
John Wilson has the best job in the world.
I agree with Ergo's comments about the constraints of filming.
If John wasn't a great angler he wouldn't be where he his today.
Legend!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's the man Merv.

On the tip of me tongue. Used to live just down the road. Worked on the Railways so he got free tickets to go anywhere.

Opened a tackle shop in Norwich. Now he runs an Angling Safari company.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Comments about a man most people have never even spoken to, based on the good old rumour mill that keeps the tabloids in profit.

John Wilson is an excellent angler and a thoroughly decent bloke who can catch fish without cheating.

He makes his TV programmes look easy because he's good at what he does. If some of his knockers were to try it sometime they'd realise just how hard it really is.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hear! Hear! Graham, I really don't think there is anyone who has done more to promote the best side of angling than John Wilson. All right so he has a funny laugh and its his normal reaction when he hooks a fish but thats part of his attraction to youngsters and casual viewers.

A good man and very deserving of all the accolades he gets.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

His TV programmes are a combination of instruction and humour. I have read pieces from various other writers criticizing John terribly. Totally unfair.

John is John. He is not a miserable bugger, unlike some angling presenters I have met in my life.

Mind you he got a bit narked when that pike smashed his new rod.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of meeting John several times. This year I met him at the Game Fair. He's a first class angler; versatile, very skilful, and comes up with the goods for the camera. Having tried catching fish to order for the camera for features all I can say is that it is possible but it needs skill, planning and knowledge but not cheating. I wish I was half as good an angler. He is a pleasure to talk to though the usual problem is that at the big shows you rarely get chance to talk to him without a queue forming. He has done a vast amount to promote angling in a very positive light.

W

William Spencer

hey chavender get the booklet on ebay lol.
did you witness his rant to Frank Sutton on the embankment?i had my lad with me and walked off.even chubby brown dont say some of the stuff that came out of john wilsons mouth that day.but,if anyone's read fifty years a fisherman,john does say that it is very hectic to film a 30 min programme over a couple of days.as a tv presenter he has always come across very well.must be some priceless footage of when it goes belly up

J

John Hepworth

Met him many years ago when he had his tackle shop in Norwich, seamed a genuine guy to me.
The Father Christmas bit was a joke by the way if anyone took it the wrong way. Just couldn't believe the original question.