Chub thumping

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
Have any of you used minnows (dead I don't want to use livebaits) with any success for chub, if so details adn rigs would be apreciated please

Jon

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've used them many times and they work particularly well at this time of year. You don't need anything fancy, just lip-hook them on a 2's to a 6lb line, freeline where you can, or roll them through on a light link leger.

R

Rob Brownfield

I do the same for Trout. You could mount them on a spinning vane, but as Graham says, a single hhok and freelining works wonders...for big Perch too.

P

Philip Inzani

Instead of dead minnows for Chub I would be tempted to use whitebait...you wont even need to catch em.

R

Rob Brownfield

Actually, why not fish mini Shads and other lures like Tubes, Split Tails etc

J

Jonathan Faro

Cheers. I might try the whitbait idea. I think I've got some sprats in my freezer but there probably a bit big.

Jon

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
You reminded me of some terrific days using minnows (live!) for trout on the upper Wye, mixed in with trotting for grayling.....i was only a youngster though and the guys who took me also took a meths stove and fry pan!!!!!......i must confess i have tasted the true delights of very fresh wild fish! (beats rats and hedehog ;o)!!)

J

Jonathan Faro

Talking of rats that reminds me off a song
You look in a bin for something to eat
You find a dead rat adn think it's a treat
In your (add insult about housing here)
In your (add insult about housing here)

P

Paul Williams

You have lost me Jono!!.....but i know Rob will understand :eek:)

J

John Spink

Try it to the tune of:"In my Liverpool home"!! and add in your Town,village etc etc....Although I do find it scary and sad that I am potentially on the same wavelength a Rob and Jonathan...lol..
Drop minnow as it is called in Scotland is a top notch method for trout and Chub by the way...

P

Paul Williams

Oh yeah, we used to sing "In our Wolverhampton homes" at Molinuex.....in the 70's!!!!!! my mom told me my past would come back to haunt me! :eek:)

J

Jonathan Faro

with applogies to northerners the version I learnt was

In your northern slums
In your northern slums

which was sung at Layer road by all 8 fans

Jon

D

David Will

Jonathon do not worry about sprats being too big. I have used Sardines for Chub for a few seasons now and they will take a half Sardine.Philip is dead right about whitebait they are brilliant for Chub and appear to be selective apart from the dreaded Eel.They can be legered or floatfished. I have just had a couple of decent Chub trotting a couple of whitebait round a weirpool at mid depth .

R

Rob Brownfield

Spinker...when have u ever fished for trout using a legal method??..lol

U Dundee lot prefer the bad of lime method!

D

Dave Johnson

I have used whitebait for years and had good success-as I also have with lip hooked minnows, usually freelined though sometimes under a hefty chubber if I am looking to manouvre the bait into a tricky overhang-could try a bait boat I suppose_see carp thread!
Also on the tiny river Blythe which is full of trout and chub, freelined minnows provide hectic sport.
I also fly fish with muddler minnows and other such imitations, watching the bow waves as the chub chase a stripped lure is awseome!!

S

Stewart Branfield

If I use sardines for chub, what is best hook and hook size to use?