TFG THERMALS

Y

yoggy

As Gary says in his review thread these are a fantastic buy,I"ve now been using these since last year and find them superb. Yes i know alot of anglers wont be seen in thermals,,it must be a man thing!!!!!,,more fool you!!!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
How do you know the hand with the ring belongs to Amy?

I'll have you know that's Gary's hand - soft, smooth, delicate, feminine......

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

You've always been sick...in the head.

stu

Reaction score
They seem a bit pricey though ? I do a lot of skiing and use my thermals from this in my fishing, and I certainly would not pay ?30 a piece (ie ?60 total) for them. And they are not Grandpa Walton style !

I will caveat this with the fact that its been a couple of years since I bought them. However, do look in ski or camping shops as well.

I must also own up to not being a fan of TFG. I think Mr Hayes totally abuses his position when writing articles, so its made me a little bit "anti".

Y

yoggy

Stu,,i understand how you feel about MH but at the end of the day as well as being an angler he"s a business man and by the sound of it a very good one!!!! I purchased the thermals on recommendation from a mate,, i admit they are a bit pricey but after wearing them, i"d buy another set.

stu

Reaction score
Yoggy - what I resent is buying a monthly mag with a view to getting good angling advice or impartial advice via the editorial, only to read an article that expouses TFG. This to me is advertising space. I have no issue with him (or others) wearing logo's etc.

I actually like watching his programs, he is no doubt a very good angler, and well done to him on his business, but I do think the editor of IYCF gives him too much license.

I'll have a look at the thermals though as re-reading Barneys piece it did point out some good refinements to ordinary thermals. And besides, if he can sit up there in the frozen north and be OK, then I am sure they are good !!

Just off for a quick session (down south) in my shorts....

G

Gary Knowles 2

You won't be dissapointed Stu.

I don't understand it. Why, with all the money at their disposal are Southerners so bloody tight !!!!!

stu

Reaction score
We are not Barney.......I was merely making the point for you really really tight fisted Northerners. I mean, FM is even run by a MacWallet!

....and money at our disposal, dont make me laugh! What with house prices down here, bling wives, school fees, 2 Mercs to run, holiday villa in South of France and all our ancillary staff, leaves very little money really.

J

john conway

Having worn one piece thermals for caving way back when the only source was ex Royal Air Force, absolutely top class material, experience has taught me two things that distinguish the good from the average/bad. These are the fibber integrity and their ability to be washed over and over again. If you don?t keep them clean then they loose some of their insulation properties, so washing correctly is important. The cheap garments either loose their fibbers or matt up after washing loosing their insulation properties. The price of TGF Second Skin Thermals does not seem too expensive to me provided they meet the above criteria; I?m willing to give them ago.

G

Gary Knowles 2

John,

Don't know the technical stuff I'm afraid. But I've had them a year, worn them all through last winter and used them half a dozen times this year.

They have been washed a few times and I havent seen any deterioration in their appearance and they are certainly as warm as ever.

Like you I don't see the price too much of an issue when you take into account the length of service they offer but more importantly how 'free' they make you feel when fishing due to reducing the number of winter layers I'd normaly wear.

J

john conway

Sounds good to me Gary, I?ll put a pair on my Christmas present list. You?ll have to come to the Ribble Winter Fish-in then you can give us all a bit of a fashion show in the pub <g>

Y

yoggy

Gary,,this is what i found,the amount of layers i used to wear somewhat restricted my movement but since wearing the thin layers i feel alot more comfortable........i understand they even do thermal boxers!!!!!!.,,but if its one thing i still suffer with in extreme cold weather its my bloody toes!!! i wish i could find some decent footwear??.

stu

Reaction score
Me too Yoggy. And how about hands. What else do people use (i.e. these neoprene gloves etc)?

Y

yoggy

Stu,,i purchased some gloves from an American hunting company...www.cabelas.com....they are fantastic my fingers have never been cold since....they"re clothing range for hunters and fishermen is unbelievable!!.

J

john conway

Stu I have a pair of neoprene gloves but I?ve not found them as warm or as comfortable as sitting Chinese style with my hands tucked up each sleeve. I don?t rally suffer from cold hands but I?ve always carried a towel and after handling fish or ground bait I always dry my hands. As for my feet I?ve got a pair of those insulated wellies, not sure of the manufacture? If I?ve got a long walk and its not too wet, which it?s not likely to be in extremely cold weather, then I use my fell boots.
One bit of advice if you have a long walk in then carry some of your clothing and put it on when you get to your peg. If you get yourself all sweated up your asking for trouble later on.

E

Eric Hayes

I like Army Surplus Norwegian Shirt and Long Johns. Although not as light as the hitech base layers but they still keep you warm and they are a damn sight cheaper.

Put your wallet away

"One bit of advice if you have a long walk in then carry some of your clothing and put it on when you get to your peg. If you get yourself all sweated up your asking for trouble later on."

Sound advice it is to John. If I can get away with it I will put my fleece and windproof in my rucksack and then put them on has and when. You do tend to sweat like a rapist when walking up into the woods, as you well know.