Stret Pegging for Barbel

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Hi chaps,as my little river is still quite low I have considered the old art of stret pegging. I wondered whether anyone has been successful in such a method. I know that its possible to keep quite a lot of line on the bottom when fishing tight to snags, but does it work as well using flying leads or leadcore.?

Anyone any thoughts

Bendsomecane

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
With stretpegging the only line that is guaranteed to be on the bottom is the line below the bottom shot. So if you're thinking of using it for line-shy fish then you'll need a long hook length below the bulk shot.

Personally in these circumstances (assuming relatively slow flow) I'd use a quivertip and a string of shot or tungsten putty. Spread the weights over about 3ft of line and keep the tension in the quiver tip as low as you can. In faster flow you need to increase the tension to reduce the amount of bow in the line.

bendsomecane

Reaction score
cheers Sean ,

How much line on the bottom is preferable ?

would you say,more the better. ?

BSC.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
In low clear rivers I normally use a hook length of about 30 inches and pin down the main line for about 30 inches above that so I've got around 5ft of line on the bottom. I keep the main line pinned by using tungsten putty on a powergum stop knot and keeping the tension in the line as low as I can. You can extend these lengths a bit, but I don't think you'll gain much and you'll find it difficult to cast.

For fishing down the side in low flows I'll use a light bomb (around 1/4 oz) and keep the rod tip low. Using a quiver helps to give more control over line tension.

I only use a float if I'm fishing deeper water close to a near bank weed bed. The float helps keep the line off the weed.

dezza

Reaction score
Sean generally is right.

But do not confuse stret pegging with laying on as most seem to, even the top names.

Stret pegging is done quite close to the rod. By lifting the rod and letting the float got downstream, you can change the location of the bait laying on the bottom. You should have no line above the float laying on the water. That's why in days gone by they also referred to stret pegging as "tight corking".

A Lollypop float works well for stret pegging by the way. The vane holds the float steady, even in the fastest current.

Stret pegging suits a long rod of say 15 feet and a centrepin reel. It works well for barbel on the Trent.

bendsomecane

Reaction score
cheers chaps, I'm looking at using a float, either 'laying on' or inching it down very close to a large snag on a particular swim on the Dearne,

will let you know how I get on

thanks

BSC

Philip

Reaction score
This thread caught my attention as I actually did some some stret pegging for Barbel just today.

I am always looking for opportunities to stret peg as its really enjoyable and makes a change from looking at a quiver tip. I was also reminded how effective it can be as I spent an hour or so on the tip for nothing then swapped over to a float and although I didnt manager any Barbel today I caught a few Chub in quick succession...i doubt I would have caught them had I continued on the tip.

Its easier to stret peg if you can get out over the water...fish from a point of a platform or something projecting out into the river if you can as this helps to keep the tackle from drifting to close to the near bank..a long rod can also help.

I think its a technique thats still got allot to offer the modern angler.

dezza

Reaction score
Laying on is fishing with a float, way over depth, with a weight quite close to the hook You chuck the tackle out, put your rod in a rest and wait whilst the float dissappears and the rod is pulled in, as it will if barbel are around.