New wires

C

Chris Bishop

Been trying some of the new wires that are out like Soft Steel and ET49-strand.

Both seem a bit thick but super-supple.

Anyone else tried 'em..?

C

Chris Bishop

Yep. Don't like a lot of their stuff but the 30lb easytwist wire is a long-established favourite.

It's thicker than the 30lb stuff but really supple. Giving the old zander a go with it as it's a bit stronger than some of the other wonderwires.

The ET stuff looks good but I haven't used it yet.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have used the Soft Steel for fly traces as its lighter in weight, in the 15lb version...but I am not too sure about it yet. Seems to kink easy

C

Chris Bishop

Can't be the same stuff. It's a lot thicker than Caliber, who make a similar wire in 15lb. I wanted the suppleness but didn't fancy fishing with 15lb wire.

Caliber might be good for fly traces. It's just like thick cotton, but it doesn't knot up as well as they claim.

A

Andy Doughty

Fox do a mono and a wire called Soft Steel. Very confusing, but I think the mono is very good. I`ve been using it for two seasons and it still performs well. I`ve got some of the Easy Twist, or should I say Easy Kink wire in the 20lb breaking strain, and its great, as long you only use it on one fish. It kinks up so badly you just cant put another bait on and recast, it looks horrid. As long as you dont mind forever making up traces, its O.K. I use it for my zander traces along with small hooks.