Method for shallow water

N

Neil Laing

I sometime fish small lakes which are between one foot and three foot deep.
Assuming casting distance is not a problem which is best, float fishing or the ledger? Are there any special considerations for shallow water, presume higher light levels may be a problem. Also if using a delicate bait which requires much casting the splash of the float in shallow water may be an issue.Please could someone comment, the target species are carp from 2 to 13lb.
Thanks Neil.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A number of solutions comes to mind, the first being to establish where the deepest spots are and log them. In winter especially this is usually where the fish are, and the deeper the water the safer they feel. Spend a couple of hours checking the depths all over the lake so you get to know it like the back of your hand, you will reap the benefits.

When you find where the fish are then, seeing as you said its a small lake, you can loose feed via a catapult. Groundbaiting will draw the fish in even if you initially scare them though, fish learn to associate splashes with food so its not really a problem.

As for float or ledger, I think I would opt for the lightest amount of lead (not a feeder) that would enable me to reach the chosen spot, and bear in mind you can use swanshot it doesn't have to be bombs. Then its just a case of overcasting and drawing back to the feed. You could use a waggler if the water really is 3ft deep and do exactly the same, overcast and draw back, its a matter of choice.

Finally, accuracy is everything in fishing, both feeding and casting, so if its a small area that you are fishing ensure that you feed/fish that area don't start blasting loose feed all over the lake.

Good luck

N

Neil Laing

Hello Graham,
thanks for your response and the suggestions you have given. I don't know if I check depths the best way, I usually set my float by fixing a spring lead over the hook. As a seperate exercise I sometimes play around with a pike float and lead and look for features but I dont find it easy to pick out features and I dont religeously check out each swim each sesion (Perhaps I should)
One lake I intend to get to know better I have plumbed quite a bit. It is about 3 foot all over except a small area near some treacherous lily-pads which is about 4 foot.
In the summer though it is shallower, the water level has gone up a foot in the last 2-3 weeks and is over-flowing.
Going back to your advice, why do you say you would use a waggler if it was 3 foot deep or more. What causes problems if fishing the waggler in shallow water?
Look forward to your reply
Neil.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you have very shallow water then you have to take the length of the waggler into consideration. You could have a situation where the carp would be touching the float with their backs or tails when feeding and as you can imagine thats not the ideal situation is it? Thats apart from the fact that they can see your set up at very close range and if they are a little bit spooky then you are in for a bad day.

There are very short wagglers of course but no, I would stick to a light ledger set up in very shallow water.

N

Neil Laing

Hello Graham,
thanks again for your help, it may seem obvious to avoid big fish seeing the float etc. but some regulars to the shallower venues I visit use the waggler. I still get confused by all the option open to fishing, even John Wilson favours using the float in shallow water but layed flat (Catch Carp&Tench).
Thanks for helping to make sense of this particular area.
Neil.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Using a small piece of straw or peacock that lies flat on the surface is fine providing you are fishing close in where you can watch for any movement but its not practical to use at distance.

L

Laurie Harper

If you want to fish at distance with a float, use a short, very fat piece of peacock quill, waggler style with only a couple of small (no. 8) shot down the line. Method recommended by Kevin Ashurst in his book on match fishing (published in the 1960s).

nobby

Reaction score
very new to fishing and the forum would like to ask how to find out the depth of silt and if it is nessary to do this