Spoddy Rods

J

Jeremy Airey

Hi Guys
Once again been away awile.
Decided to take up 'spodding' big time for all sorts species. I need the excerise to keep me in shape for my first love 'high speed lurefishing' with big surface baits for tropical animals.
Need your opinions on the new Warrior(?) Spod rod from Fox priced at ?45.
Is it one of those rare gems that give you all you could want for a bargain price or should I be looking to spend more money?
Is a lower spec. rod in maybe carbon content terms more durable and better for heaving HEAVY spods?
I'm not too adverse to paying out (spent ?525 on a Shimano Stella in 2003 - make a good spod reel (LOL)) but I do like a bargain.
Any help appreciated
regards
Jeremy

G

Geoff Cowen

The Warrior rod is all you need from a spod rod. Well made, strong, cheap and does the job. Don't waste your money on a more expensive rod. I have had mine all year paired with the new Emcast Daiwa 5000 reel again a bargain for ?60. Took me some time to get used to casting a heavy spod but can now hit the target, well most of the time.

Gary Blackwell

Reaction score
Hi Jeremy,
I used a cheap Daiwa for a couple of years, Vulcan (I think) @ ?40, was perfect for the job, save some dosh, you could also try the carp forum, u may get more mails.. Cheers...

M

michael rouse

Jeremy where do you fish for 'tropical animals' coz it sounds fun if you need a spod rod and big surface baits.

W

Wolfman Woody

Spodding - could replace fishing if it ever got banned. No-one would object to us feeding the fish would they?

I got a Chub Locator Spod - ?50 I think, but very smart if a bit thick. Cast well though.

B

Budgie Burgess

Dare I say it but I have never found my old glass fibre beach rod lacking in putting any spod out!?20 will pick up a beach rod that will do the same.

J

Jeremy Airey

Thanks one and all

Michael
The last lot of high spped stuff I did was (unsuccessfully) after Rooster Fish in Mexico.
I hope to get a trip after GTs or yellow fin tuna some time next year.
It's not the casting that gets you but the continual 'maniac speed'speed cranking on the retrieve usually with a high rod angle too but it is all worth it when something big, fast and mean decides to eat your lure.
regards
Jeremy

S

sash

Tough one to crack that Jeremy (Roosters). Time of year needs to be spot on apparently. Mate of mine had one earlier this year after a couple of days trying. One thing's for sure, they do look amazing fish.