Line strength

Red6

Reaction score
I have been using some Bayer Perlon line rated at 2.6lb on a small river close to where we live, and have been successfull in banking some 3lb plus chub. Being of the engineering fraternity, I set up a small test rig in my garage to try and ascertain what the line would actually fail at. I discovered that generally, the the shear point was just under 4lb.

My question is as follows: What size of fish would it be reasonable to be able to land with line of this strength?

jp

Reaction score
Impossible question to answer really Red6, any Chub should be bankable with 4lb line, but it depends on the swim, how you play fish, what snags may be in the area and probably a few other factors as well.

I've had carp to 16lb on 4lb line and to over 20 on 5lb line but I wouldn't recommend lines of that b/s for most carp fishing.

I also lost a huge chub (probably over 7lb) on 8lb line last winter in a swim that was always going to be an awkward one to land a fish from if it went the wrong way, so as you can see there's no hard and fast rules.

One other point of course with chub is that they are perfectly capable of biting through just about any line that you are likely to use with their pharyngeal teeth if they get the bait that far down their throat.

Red6

Reaction score
Thanks JP - A difficult question I guess given all the variables.

I have tried using a heavier line, but find it difficult to get it to pay off freely when trotting. The river near us is reasonably fast flowing and is between 2 - 3 ft deep but contains some clonking fish, particulary the pesky pike!

I have moved to using lighter tackle in an attempt to get more control over the float.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Red,
Use a micrometer to test the diameter of youre line, it can vary quite a lot to what it says on the spool.
Giveing you a false breaking strain.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Small wonder, then that it has a reputation for reliablity!
Possible "workarounds": Use a big enough float/shot combo to MAKE the line YOU want to use behave itself; this may necessitate changing tactics by, e.g., fishing overdepth and holding back, laying on, stret-pegging,and hiding the decrease in subtlety by using big baits (Bread! and worms if there are worthwhile perch); legering; or dragging them out into snag-free water by means of a few balls of gravel-rich mashed bread left to work their magic while you have half an hour spinning (neighbouring swims) and enjoy those "pesky" pike. Look after them - if the chub aren't having any, they can turn the day around!
The groundbait option is a bit S.O.B., so try it when you've plenty of other swims to try!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its not usually the line that breaks, it usually goes at the weakest point which is the knot to your hook length, I assume you are using a hooklength red6?

I used Bayer 2.6lb mainline as standard, for years with a 1.7lb hooklength and have landed some clonkers on that set-up, but like JP states, its more to do with snags.

One thing about chub in particular is, if theres a snag anywhere near, they will find it and the problem is exacerbated when that snag is on your bank and downstream of you. The more pressure you apply the more you pull it towards the snag, I've lost many a match through being in that situation, believe me. They know instictively where every snag is and will do their utmost to get there and anyone who fishes a river regularly will have countless stories about the ones that got away.

I don't think using a lighter line is the answer to your problem either, Alan's given you some good pointers and I suggest you try them before switching to another line. "2.6lb sounds about right to me if its a small river and with practice you should be able to land most if not all of what you hook.

Red6

Reaction score
Many thanks fellas for the sound advice.

I guess it's a case of more time on the river (she will love that) to build the skills required.