SEVERN ROACH

L

Lee Poultney

Can someone here advise me of where I can go on a BAA card and fish the stick to get amongst the Roach?

Specific pegs/areas would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

C

Coops

Arley on the slipway. Big waggler with maggot down the middle, stick on an inside line.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Arley is the place to go for roach especially at this time of year, the place is full of them and theres the odd one over 2lb. No specific peg, anywhere on the left bank will do.

By repute, the Dudley AS water below Bewdley is one of the best waters on the Severn for roach. Its not BAA but its only ?3 on the bank and its an excellent water, it holds its fair share of barbel too.

S

Steve King

Claines can also be worth a bash - where the Salwarpe joins the Severn.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The best bit of roach fishing I ever found was that in the hands of The Littleton AC.

Des Taylor put me onto it. In two winters fishing there I had roach up to 2lbs 7 oz.

Best method was not the stick, but very light link leger fishing quite close to the bank using a delicate quiver tip. A couple of swan shot was enough on the majority of swims.

Up to 3 maggots on a size 14 to 3 lb hook length and 4 lb main line. Don't use a feeder. The splash tends to spook the bigger. Feed little and often.

The reason for the beefed up tackle is that you often latched into a decent chub.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I would love to fish the Severn for its roach again.

Too much distance, too many other species and not enough time.

Or money...... :eek:(

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You never cease to surprise me Ron! The Lyttleton water was a top winter fishery years ago for roach and chub and I've spent many happy hours trotting a float through their waters. The link ledger method is still a top method for the big roach on the Severn. Sadly its but a shadow of what it used to be and rarely gets fished now, I think the barbel pushed them out and it died a death.

Every time I go to Bewdley I drive alongside the Lyttleton water and I often wonder if they've made a comeback, as they have everywhere else on the Severn. Can't see any reason why not eh! Never ever see any cars there though and I don't even know if you can still get daytickets from the shop in Stourport.

I must mention this to John Jones as we still occasionally mention the place, it might be worth giving it a bash just to see.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I'd be up for a trip Graham.A Severn Roach fish-in! Why not?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'll have a word with John and let you know, Nigel, I'm sure John would be keen and his cousin would come too. Maybe re discover the place, some of the biggest roach on the Severn used to live there, but I never got hold of them unfortunately.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It would make a change from struggling for a winter Avon roach. Keep me posted.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Graham, I fished Lyttleton in 1995 qnd 1996. Nearly 10 years ago. I went down there in March 1996 and had a tremendous catch of roach, Probably the best catch of big roach for numbers I had ever had in my life. 30 odd fish, all over 12 oz, best fish just short of 2 lbs. I mentioned this to Bill Leavesely and he told me my catch was nothing compared with some catches he had had.

It really was tremendous roach fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Although I love barbel fishing. I really believe they should never have been stocked into The Severn. Just think of the roach and chub fishing there would be if there were no barbel.

I am told by a couple of old Severn Anglers that this river was also stuffed with dace, grayling and trout in the middle reaches before the barbel came.

For goodness sake let's not stock barbel into any more rivers. Keep them where they belong.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'm afraid dace are becoming something of a rarity these days Ron and yes the Severn did have more than its fair share. You don't see them all that often nowadays, sad really when you consider they were looked on as almost a nuisance fish when you were after the roach and chub.

The Wye is exactly the same, they have all but disappeared from there and they were big dace in the Wye. You could do 20lb of dace even on the worst days, fish averaging 6 to 10oz, beautiful fish, glistening, sparkling even.

I think I'm going to cry....

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I couldn't agree with you more Graham. Barbel are fine where they are indigenous.

However dace seem to be coming back to the Trent..... :eek:)

B

Big Rik

dace are certainly prevelant on the Avon and Stour at the moment, with match bags of 20lb+ this summer.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

A roach fish-in on the Severn would be marvellous. But where?

We should try to organise some time in early March. Maybe near Bewdley where there are a couple of decent pubs you can stay. Like the "Whore and Strumpet" - oh I am sorry, I mean the "Horn and Trumpet"

Come on chaps, let's have a few ideas?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ron, Bewdley is the heart of roach fishing country and there are plenty of places to stay in and around Bewdley. Pubs obviously but would you really want anywhere else? Not so sure that March is the ideal time of year to be doing it though if I were to pick a time then it would have to be now, prime roach fishing time.

Personally I would leap at the chance to have a little get together and I for one would be up for it. On monday I will make a pont of finding out if the Lyttleton water is still a day ticket water because that would be the ideal place for a fish-in.

Watch this space.

L

Lee Poultney

Sorry to interupt, but getting back to the original question - Best places on a BAA card?

thanks

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Sorry Lee but I've never had a BAA card.

Most cards I have used have been Kidderminster, Dudley and Lyttleton.

A

Andrew Thomas 1

I wouldn't say this was absolute gospel but I don't think Lyttleton day tickets are available. However I paid the princely sum of ?12 for a season ticket last year.

Mark's Tackle is 01299 871735