just whipped a size 22 on to 1.1lb line

S

si

i was hopeing to try some roach fishing soon on a local marine with bloodworm and joker i have never used it before let alone used a size 22 hook !!

can anyone help with what type of float to use and what size elastic with such a small hook

ime not looking to beat any records hear its just something thats been at the back of my mind to try so any info relateing to using this method will be greatfullly recieved

Clikfire

Reaction score
Not good enough to offer advise about your chosen quarry, but if you really want to go for it I have some size 28 spades from when I used to fish canals, I can send them to you.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

After Trent Barbel are you?

You're pluddi gaffing 'em....... :eek:)

S

si

wow size 28 i dint know they went that small i carnt even imagine how small that must be

it was to my utter amazement that i tied it first attempt but ime well chuffed the wipping stayed on long long enough to pull it tight

Clikfire

Reaction score
Si, I don't think they are any tougher to tie than 22's as the actual wire the hooks made from doesn't get much thinner its just the bend at the pointy end that's tiny.

S

si

ahh ok i will keep practiseing with 22s and work my way down

out of interest clikfire how small do hooks go

ron yes i will be after trent barbel after seeing bob roberts at the trent club but they can wait i want some trent roach first

Clikfire

Reaction score
Si I have never seen smaller than 28's but I am not suggesting they don't exist.
As I said I am not that good or experienced at fishing anyhow, but I used to use them with pinkies on canal matches as a junior.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Just found a site quoting size 32 !! Suitable for baiting with a single gnat to catch the odd specimen minnow I would think.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What, a whole gnat?

In my day on the canals we used sized 46s to 1 1/2 oz. bs. A single joker was cut onto 30 pieces.

Using tow rope you lot.

Clikfire

Reaction score
"In my Day on the canals"

Didn't know they made hooks that long ago!

:)

J

John Hepworth

Wa that when tha lived int cardboard box, Ron. Just off towpath.

J

jason fisher

we'd ave loved a cardboard box, sheer luxury is a carboard box, IT WAS AN OLD USED TEA BAG WE HAD TO LIVE UNDER, all 47 of us.

CHUMLEY

Reaction score
some years ago during the winter league months i can remember being in Homestores in Southampton and watched as the owner, Colin Watts, tied an Au Lion d'or size 30 hook to a length of o6 line, without the aid of a hook-tyer!
boy, was i impressed!!!
one of the team picked it up, put in his pocket ready for a b and j match on the GUC next day.
nowadays I can hardly see a size 30 even with my glasses on!!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course you had it good Jason.

We didn't have the luxury of of a tea bag. We had to spend the entire winter, down to 15 degrees below zero, living under a stretched out, second hand condom, all 87 of us and eatin t'gravel out at't cess pit!!!

Tha don't know tha born lad...