Pellet dangers?

J

Jonathan Faro

I read that trout pellets are bad for carp as they are designed for trout which are predatory fish so have all the nutrients tailored towards a predator not a herbivore. Is there any substence to this or am I oo using trout pellets.

Jon

C

Carp Angler

Have a search back through the forum and this topic has been discussed quite frequently.

Since when have carp been herbivores???????????
I thought that all fish were omnivorous.....

A

Andy Rooke

john
trouties can be bad in quanity because of the additives and ingredients that make up trout pellets. there is to much protien and to much ash and also oil. as far as trout pellets being used because of they are preadetry, we use them to grow the trout, what nutrients would you say that a preadetry fish needs jon????
andy r

C

Carp Angler

Andy the trout farmer, more in tune with feeding fish than myself....

Some points though, since when has too much protein been bad?
Isn't it true that excess proteins that aren't utilised by the body are passed through as waste?

Too much oil?
I've commented on this in the past, I have never seen a carp with an exploded liver and cannot understand how ingesting too high a concentration of oil, will cause the excess to stay within the fishes body and not be passed through.

Everyone I've asked has not been able to explain this, I've only heard hypothesis and rumour, normally from commercial fishery owners.

Can you explain this to me Andy, you been to Sparsholt, you've got some knowledge ?

A

Andy Rooke

hi rik i will try lol i have fished on lakes that have said that trouties have been banned and also salmon pellets as they say that the prortien levels are to high for carp, because the pllets contain the wrong protien. but as we were told at collage and in the books that there is no scientific evidence to back this thery up. because they are banned looking thhrough notes and stuff here is that if a lot of high protien pellets are pre-baited and remain uneaten that the potential pollution of the pellets will be similar to thet of say high protien boilies. (this part taken out of a book) poor health or even death of carp in a fishery has often been blamed on the trout pellets compromising the immun sytem, a much more likley explanation is that way to much feed bait has been thrown in and remains un eaten, when it starts to rot the chemicals that are released of the pellets such as ammonia, which pollutes the water. the poor quaility of the water makes the fish a more chance of gettin a bad disease. maybe thats why a lot of fisheries have put a limit on how much bait is allowed at any time, so its possible that the pellets are bad for the fish if remained uneaten! i hope this helps and i hope im right lol cheers
andy

C

Carp Angler

I agree that uneaten baits will eventually go sour and effect the quality of the water, but this is any bait, not just TP's or boilies.

I suppose, pellets straight from the sack are easier to apply in large quantities and you would get more uneaten bait with everyone doing it.

It's excessive baiting in the wrong situation which causes this, not just pellets.
Groundbaits will also give the same result, with the bran and biscuit content souring and giving off ammonia.

I'm glad someone who knows what they are talking about agrees with me.........

Cheers Andy.

A

Andy Rooke

hi rik
its know that trouw supply nearlly 1000 tonnes annunly to bait companies alike, it gives you an idea as to how much bait gets put in to our fisherys, each year.as for oils a lot of it comes from sea-fish and is used in commercial diets and also in baits, these fats are both attractive and nutrition for the fish because they are highly unstaturated they can react very easily with oxygen in the air and become rancid. rancid fat has a raw smell of linseed flavour and is toxic to fish causing liver damage marine fish oils are protected by addition of preservetives known as antioxidants, and states that it is inportant for anglers to use these products by the sell by date
andy

C

Carp Angler

So where are the sell by and use by dates on the products containing these oils?

Irresponsible bait companies not wanting to lose money by having baits thrown away......

J

Jonathan Faro

children stop arguing. I only asked a question, I dunnow what nutrients predators need, I never did that at GCSE Biology and if I did I forgot, I cant even remeber whta I learnt for my A levels and they don't finish till wednesday
Jon

D

Dave Johnson

c'mon Rik , I know you are big, but lets not forget you are only seven......

A

Andy Rooke

jon wat u mean children stop arguing?????????
me and rik were having a very sensible disscusion about the topic YOU raised. we were disscusing about the dangers of pellets and bait a lot more in depth that you. so you raised the quetion so then clever clogs if me and rik are arguing you answer the main question that you posted about trout pellets why are pellets bad for carp if you can explain better than what i have done i will listyen carfully to what you have to say. as for GCSE WHAT HAS BIOLIGY GOT TO DO WITH carp diets and trout diets you tell me why it is good or bad for carp to eat trout pellets i will look forward to your answer
andy

S

Steve Baker

So it seems that pellets arnt bad for carp, but too much loose feed is.

Its always amazed me that waters ban boilies and pelets because of the protein content, but allow gallons of maggots to go in, and maggots are about 90% protein..........

P

Paul Williams

Steve,
Just to be argumentative, but in the friendliest posible way :eek:)......i thought they were 90% water just like us?

F

Fred Glass

Has anybody heard of Ham Green Lake

I was looking on the internet and came across a site fishing uk and a picture of a guy called David with a 15lb common says he caught it at ham grren lake in Salford

check out the link then look in the trophy room

http://www.fishing.co.uk/

S

Steve Baker

ok then 90% water and 90% of the 10% (9% total weight)is protein ;-)