Does anyone know the name of this wildflower?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When walking around my local lake I often come across this little beauty but I can't find out what its called does anyone know? It is very low growing and the flower is between 1.25 and 1.5 inches across, it is white fading to a very pale pink at the edge of the petals.

graham-whatmore-albums-graham-s-piccies-picture2062t-p1010192-600-x-450.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sorry Graham, on the phone I thought you meant the flower was white and pink tinged on the edges and I was trying to think of something quite different.

Lesser bindweed around this way also. We have it in profusion along the edge of our front garden, grows in with the ivy and other nuisance plants.

The bigger variety of bindweed are also known as "pop your granny out of bed", pick one by the stem, hold it tightly at the green base of the flower, and the flower head pop off. The flower looks like a granny's night cap.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well I shall sleep easier tonight......(and the wife is cross because she wasn't first with the correct answer............women!!)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nature has some gorgeous wildflowers doesn't it? Walk in an uncultivated field and you will see some of the most beautiful flowers but of course they are generally small, they havn't been tampered with by man.

I try to convince my wife that a part of our very large garden should be devoted to wild flowers and grasses but she remains unconvinced, like most garden lovers things have to be orderly for her and nature doesn't do orderly nor does it do straight lines.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
One of my favourites around here is the great mullein.

The flowers are sometimes disappointing, but watching it grow in it's second year is great, they're full of hairy leaves and look sub-tropical. They grow in clearings (not many of them) in our woods and sometimes neighbouring gardens and people wonder what they are. When we had the storms in 1990 that blew down loads of trees, we had many growing two years later because they had sunlight all of a sudden.

great_mullein1.jpg

mullein.jpg

img_1332.jpg

There are other mulleins around, some by the sides of the road, near Little Marlow for example, but I'm not sure what sub-specie these are. Even a botanical guy from Bucks County Council didn;t know either, he thought they were greats, but their leaves weren't furry.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yes, verbascum and the furry one is v. thapsus.

But I reckon the others at the side of the road (also seen them near a couple of gravel pits) are a different variety, that's what I'm not sure about.

Just seen where it says they love areas with little competition, that's true - half the woodland wasmissing when a lot of our local ones grew. A woman had one growing in her garden, never before seen it, but she'd move an old bush from there the year before - no competition again.

They're biennials and these never showed again. Next time I see one flowering I'm going to try and save the seeds if I can, I'd love to see lots of them so I'll scatter them in folk's gardens around the area. :)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
According to my book

Aaron's rod or Great mullein is v. thapsus
White mullein is v. lychnitis
Moth mullein is v.blattaria
and
Dark mullein is v. nigrum
The leaves can be mixed with tobacco and relieve coughs & chills, apparently!
All are poisonous to animals if any quantity is eaten.
There are several hundred species in the world, and rock garden plants do escape( v.phoeniceum ) and naturalise!

Cakey

Reaction score
yeah sure ..................dont understand ,I get queues for cuttings
I thought it was just weed