Invisible ledgers

Red6

Reaction score
I have seen some threads on ledgers and just thought I would share this with you all.

In the tackle shops, camouflaged ledger weights cost upwards of a quid each depending on the weight. I have found a solution which costs around the same as six for the price of one.

Buy yourself a pack of cheap flat ledgers (?1.20 for six), mix up some plastic padding or something similar, coat the ledger with a good wad of the stuff, and before it goes off, roll it in bird cage grit. (Oh yeh - forgot to mention - you need a budgie).

When it hardens (not the budgie) you have a virtually invisible weight (depending of couse on the river bed). Give it a shot.

jp

Reaction score
The theory sounds OK Red, and for some situations the practice may well be also, but I'd be a bit concerned about any contact with my line, mind you I'm a bit paranoid about that sort of thing, barbel only to need to find one little weakness in your tackle somewhere and they're gone.

Red6

Reaction score
Good point JP.

As far as I am aware, in the stretch of the river I fish, there are no Barbel, although I have spotted the odd Carp drifting through, and I am going after Chub as the target species. Generally, I am on four pound Bayer Perlon with the ledger clipped onto a swivel via a short paternoster.

I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Camouflaged legers over ?1.00

Get hold of old Merv. His legers are great and a heck of a lot cheaper than that.

Red6

Reaction score
Sorry Ron - I am new to this forum (reborn angler after 35 year break). Who is Merv ?