Tons of bait

J

jeff burgess

Some big captures during this first week of the season notably Jim Shelley's big bream from Horton Church. He put in 70 kilo's of dait over a three day period. There have been many captures over the years where people have put in massive amounts of bait. I personally couldn't afford 70 kilo's of bait let alone get it to the bank and hurl it in. Any opinions on this style of fishing?

C

Carp Angler

In this pareticular instance, Jim Shelley, receives his bait for free.
I know that Mr Shelley does some extraordinary baiting and pre-baiting campaigns.
His Wraysbury assault (next door to Horton) meant travelling from Thetford to the lake (220 mile round trip) 3 or 4 times a week !!!!
That is some dedication.
His baiting at Horton was something that hadn't really been tried before and has really paid off for him, catching more fish in one week, than most of the anglers on there catch in a year.

P

Peter Morton

Not being a "specimen hunter" could anyone give me some idea what 70kilo's of bait would cost if you had to pay for it?

P

Paul Williams

Peter,
It all depends on what you use and how far you are prepared to go in it's preparation, but a 25kg bag of hemp,maize, and pellet could be bought for somewhere in th region of ?60-?80 with the right contacts........i know that is out of the reach of many anglers with morgages and families to feed though, i also know that amongst the lads who can't afford it there are plenty who could do similar things to Jim.......but it still needs lots of thought and effort, the bait alone is not the whole picture.

C

Carp Angler

70 kilos of particles and groundbait could cost between ?25 and ?40.
That's dry bait, 70kg's dry would produce about 100kgs wet.
Unless the 70kgs was wet bait and then that's about 45kg's dry, which would cost between ?15 and ?30.

70kgs of boilies could cost between ?280 and ?800, depending on brand.

C

Carp Angler

Paul, a 25kg sack of each of maize (?7), hemp (?11) and pellet (?14) cost a total of ?32.
This would give a total of about 110kgs of bait.
You can pay me ?60 to ?80 if you like :eek:)

You must still owe me pie and chips somewhere aswell.

P

Peter Morton

Thanks lads,i'll print this off and show it to the wife,next time she moans at me for spending ?20 on bait for a match.lol :)

P

Paul Williams

Oh no we have been stiched by a match angler!!!!
Rik is right!!....if you Know were to shop and he does!!

J

James Bradshaw

Just wondering whether people using this tactic use the same bait on the hook as they use for mass pre-baiting - if that's the case, the words ''needle'' and ''haystack'' spring readily to mind...! But hey - if it works, and doing it DOESN'T AFFECT THE FISH IN ANY NEGATIVE WAY WHATSOEVER, then good luck to anyone who wants to use any tactic available to them.

J

john conway

I find it’s not just the cost of the ingredients for big time ground baiting sessions, but the time spent preparing it. I’ve just knackered our lassie’s liquidiser, trying to liquidise dog food, and the only time I can use the kitchen for my mass hemp boil ups is when she goes out for the day. And have you tried playing around with a few gallons of back molasses?
We have a problem at the moment deciding on how big one or two bream and hybrid shoals are that we are targeting. We think they are small but are of good quality fish, bream 9lb to 14lb and hybrids 4lb to 5.5lb. We are only picking up one or two fish form the shoal on their patrol runs, the best to date has been 3 from one shoal and 5 in a night session, mind you my mate’s not complaining, all excellent condition hybrids. The exception is the winter holding area, when the conditions are right you can pick up may be 4 or 5 fish. The baiting problem is do we go for a big pre-baiting session, say 10 or 20kg for 3 or 4 days in the hope that we can hold the shoal up for a bit longer or do we risk killing it dead, how do we know that it wasn't just an off day anyhow, no matter what we did? I suppose to answer my own question; we are just going to have to try it a few times. By the way our lass has got into the habit of reading the odd email so I’m expecting “don’t you think you are going to stink and mess up my kitchen again” or something similar but a little bit more expletive!!!!!

P

Paul Williams

John,
If there are a fair few fish in the shoal i would not hesitate in in using the amount of bait you mention in one to two nights in some circustances,
James,
I used to think in those terms, but once they get thier heads down it soon goes.......you do need to have some idea of fish numbers though, it may not work in a small water with only a couple of fish!!.......but some bream shoals are measured in hundreds of fish, and they are greedy beggars at times and then theres the other fish in the pecking order, from gugeon to carp(and don't forget eel, they never forget me!!) who will all want some of the action at some stage.

R

Rob Brownfield

I'll stick with my single pop-up boillie, varnished and glued to the hair so i dont lose it on a fish!! It usually lasts a year or so. If I am lucky, i just pick up a discarded bollie from the bank. Saves me money....

Anyone think I have been in Scotland too long?..lol

J

jeff burgess

In last weeks press Chilli Chilcott (respected carp angler) caught some big tench over four days having fed 8 gallons (yes 64 pints) of casters. My conclusion is that there must be something in the mass baiting approach. Nexty time I get to the bank everything and the kitchen sink will go in. I'll let you kniow if anything makes my landing net!

P

Paul Williams

I know it works and yes i do it.......if i can sneak the money!!!....even at discounted prices 64 pints of caster is a lot of dosh, my missus keeps an eye on me...she knows i have a real weakness!!!!

T

The Dacer

70kg of bait?

I've heard that dynamite stuns the fish and brings them up to the surface. Guess you could then just net them for one massive haul...

Me. I feel hard if I have to use an entire loaf of bread.

D

Dave Silvers

There seems to be two probems with a mass pre baiting campaign, first one is the obvious cost.
Second is turning up on the appointed day to find someone else bagging up in 'my spot'.
Anybody else got any comments on this or am I the only one who doesn't have exclusive rights to a water.

J

john conway

>Second is turning up on the appointed day to find someone else bagging up in 'my spot'<
Yup! That’s a real problem and one that we’ve only just been talking about. Last night I went down to the river, half hours drive not counting the good half hour it took me to get my gear and mix only 6kgs of bait, god that molasses don’t half make a mess, then an hour to walk down to the bank side and put in fifty balls. By this time it’s getting dark, then another half hour to drive home. Doing this twice before the actual fishing session makes it 12kg plus another 6kg on the session still only totals at 18kgs. Now I’m worried that someone’s been watching and when I go down for a Friday night session someone else will be, as you said Dave, bagging up on my bait. I still can’t help feeling anoide about having to creep down in the dark to bait up especially as it doesn’t get dark until eleven, roll on the longer nights. It’s not just the pre baiting but also the time we’ve put in depth and feature finding plus many blank sessions in duff spots. Having said all this I still wouldn’t go along with reserving bank places.

C

Carp Angler

Unfortunately, on club and open access waters, this is always going to be the gamble that you take.

I've done the baiting up at 2am gag many times before.
Now if I'm pre-baiting I just fish places that aren't popular.
Either unknown or very large lakes, or less popular stretches of river.

My results have probably suffered, but at least someone else isn't enjoying the fruits of my hard work.