Passion for Angling Dubbed

Blunderer

Reaction score
Seeing as the DVD is out:

I have heard various unsubstantiated rumours about "cheating" in Passion for Angling. On is that "Fat Lady" caught at the end of the last episode is a different fish caught from a different lake.
The other is that Bob's huge roach bag was caught over several days.

I don't know if any of these are true. But following yesterday's posts about the series, I was inspired to watch the Autumn and Winter episodes last night.

What I did notice, quite clearly, is that a lot of the dialogue is overdubbed. Bob's entire commentary when catching the big bag of roach, for a start, in fact most of Bob's dialogue is overdubbed. Obviously the links are dubbed - "I wonder how Chris is getting on?"...cut to Chris etc, and this is standard practice, but I was dissapointed to see that at least half of the "incidental" dialogue was dubbed later!!!!!

I hope the rumours around the other stuff are untrue.

S

Shrek

If you watch carefully, you'll notice Chris in black waders one minute, then green wellies the next.

If you read the book, it gives more insight into how things were filmed. For instance, the Autumn Glory piece, especially the barbel catching sequence, was filmed over the space of 12 months, filming taking place in Autumn of consecutive years. Makes you smile when the commentary from good old Mr Cribbins makes mention that "the next day, the water has dropped a couple of inches and slightly less coloured". Should have been "the next year" really.

Still, I have to say that despite all these little foibles, it's the best angling series I have ever had the pleasure to have watched.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I noticed that the book gives some stuff away.
Glad to see I am not the only obsessive who has watched it thousands of times!!!! And unquestionably the best angling series ever made (Apart from "Hooked" in the seventies...snigger)
I am more than happy to give them the benefit of "artistic license", but I hope the Fat Lady rumour isn't true. It is one thing to stretch the truth on timescales, but another to lie about fish!!!!

J

john conway

Well lads that?s how most documentaries are made, you shoot loads of footage and edit it into a good story, and in my mind it?s still the best fishing video/DVD on the market. Having said that next time I watch mine I?ll look out for Chris?s wellies!!! I'm glad the DVD's out my video's getting worn out by now. The Autumn and Winter episodes are my favourite.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I suppose things like Passion for Angling are made in much the same way as any film, dubbing, cutting and filling in etc. When you watch a film you see two hours of what probably took months months to film but it doesn't devalue it in any way.

If I remember right they both said they would never make another one because it took so long, tiring, away from the family and very time consuming.

The definitive angling programme for sure.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After what one of the posters said yesterday,
Did one of the piscatours have a passion for something else?

W

Wolfman Woody

Now, now Baz.

There was an awful lot of stretching of truth in that film. Watch Bob's shirt sleeves as he puts the barbel back in, rolled down, half up, fully up. I want a shirt like that.

There's even more rumour going around about it, but why not enjoy it at face value? After all, you don't believe that Sly Stallone climbed a mountain in Cliffhanger or that Arnie can fly a Harrier, do you?

S

Steve King

"Cheating"? Well it depends what is meant by the term. It is a film at the end of the day and films have to be edited to make them interesting and also economical to make - see Graham's post on another thread regarding John Wilson. Obviously continuity can cause problems! Has anyone else noticed the reels which suddenly change from right hand wind when they're on the rest to left hand wind when Bob strikes?

Dubbing is standard practice in all kinds of filming. When I'm playing a fish I'm more likely to say f%$k and b@ll*cks at appropriate intervals than to give a running dialogue!

Passion for Angling for all it's obvious (and not so obvious) faults and deceptions is still the most watchable and enjoyable angling film that I know of.

The reason why Bob & Chris fell out were published in a Sunday paper some years ago, however the real reason is that Bob refuses to use a Kelly Kettle and persists in using Gaz stove ;o)

Finally, regarding Bob's catch of roach from the Avon, I would refer anglers to Bob's own account entitled "Trial by Camera" in the book "Red Letter Days".

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That bumper catch of roach by Bob, has been refered to him making angling history when he caught them. I hope he did.
I take the film at face value, and still think it was the best ever made.
I suppose next, you lot will be telling me there is no real Father Christmas.

J

John McLaren

The fact is that "Passion" is should a wonderful experience to watch that apart from the overdubbing, which is obvious, I hadn't noticed any of the continuity faults.

I'm a big Elvis Presley fan and one of the classic continuity gaffs is in the film "Jailhouse Rock" in which, during a particular song sequence in which he performs with a band behind him, the lead guitarist is shown wearing sunglasses, without them and with them again several times over - the shooting took a whole day and the sun had moved from behind them to in front during the process but the cutting interchanges bits from throughout the session. If MGM can't get it right with all their resources we can surely be kind to Hugh Miles.

W

Wolfman Woody

One of the best (or worst) continuity cuts was in a film starring Cher, something about a moon? She's having a discussion with her father (I think) and there's a bottle of beer on the table, which after each cut spins. Label faces one way, then another, then another.

You hope the scene will end soon in case the bottle goes flying through the window.

Perhaps the worst are where someone is wearing sunglasses, then they aren't, then they are... ... ...

J

jason fisher

no the worst has got to be in my mates videos, one second all the women have clothes on, the next they're competely naked, it distracts you from the dialogue.

D

Davy North

In the book that goes with the Passion For Angling series there is no attempt to hide the fact things didn't always happen as on the screen. The big barbel from under the conker tree was caught almost a year after the first attempt, not the next day. The big perch caught by Bernard Venables took ages, not just the happy few hours it seems on the film.

All this doesn't bother me at all, A Passion For Angling isn't a true documentary, it's not even a Go Fishing style show. It's a film or six films to convey the,er well, passion for angling, which it does above and beyond anything else I've ever seen. However like the others I do hope Bobs roach catch is genuine, for me it's the highlight of the whole series.

The real thing that's wazzed me off with this thread is I didn't know Bob and Chris had fallen out! I'm now busy picking up the pieces of my shattered illusions.

B

Bully

There is a danger of setting too higher expectations, especially if it inspires someone to fish for the first time. Some times I would like a little bit more reality in these programs. Still loved it though.

S

Shrek

The problem with that though Bully, is reality TV is incredibly boring, especially when it comes to fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some years ago, there was a lake near me that a well known angler wanted to do a film on, for the carp video.
Part orf his demands were that the lake be closed to other anglers for six weeks.
Some expert.

Blunderer

Reaction score
But noone has commented on "Fat Lady"!
Is it true it came from a different lake?

S

Steve King

I don't know whether Fat Lady came from the same lake or not. I'll have to check out that episode again!

N

Nigel Moors 2

Totally disillusioned now....Thought Arnie could fly the Harrier like that!

Whatever the timescales to put Passion together I can't be arsed to look for the 'mistakes', it's just too damn good to want to rip it to pieces.

W

Wolfman Woody

Perhaps it's only when you watch it so many times Nigel that little insignificancies suddenly leap at you.

Here's another (nothing to do with APFA), The Good Life. I was watching one of the programmes on UK Gold one day paying little attention to the centre of detail when suddenly I caught a glimse of Felicity Kendal's right boob. Yes, it is there and lord know how many times I have watched that episode before. Must tape it next time it's on, but I ain't telling you mucky lot which one.