New Shimano "baby" baitrunners

smufter

Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong section...
At the moment I am using a couple of Okuma Epix Pro baitrunner reels for my general fishing, but having had them for a good few years I'm thinking of a change.
I like the look of the new Shimano "baby" baitrunners (ST & DL 2500 versions), just wondered if anybody is using these and if so, what do they think of them?
Is it worth spending the extra to get the DL version over the ST? I prefer the "look" of the ST (not a great lover of twin handles) but reviews seem to indicate that the DL version is smoother in use.
My fishing is mainly light legering, freelining, float fishing for Tench/Carp.
As I say, it would be the 2500 version I go for because I prefer to fish light tackle.
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Rob

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Smufter,

I'm a little confused as to why you need a Baitrunner type reel at all seeing as you are only doing Light Legering and Float Fishing.

Would a good quality normal Reel not do the exact same job you are looking to achieve ?

I know this doesn't answer your question but i was just curious.

If i was you i would just get a Normal 3000 or 4000 size Reel with a good amount of Ball bearings, A good Front or Rear Drag and a few spare spools, there's loads out there already tried and tested.

Shimano Exage
Okuma Epix (i use these) and i think they are excellent and are only around £35.00p
Preston Innovation reel

Shimano don't really make a bad reel, they just make reels that aren't as good as the more expensive ones in their range.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I've got the DL 2500, nice and smooth but down side is it is quite heavy and chunky for a 2500. More the size of a standard 4000. I prefere the twin handle and again use it for ledgering, though for heavier work and close in fising with up to 1 oz leads. Light feeder I use 3000 size and go up to the 4000. The exage are good value for this.

smufter

Reaction score
I guess it's just for a bit of added "security" if you like SV.
I quite often take one of the kids fishing with me and whilst I usually rely on watching the line (if I'm freelining) or bobbins (if legering) I sometimes get caught out if I'm trying to sort their tackle out when they've got snagged up, need re-baiting or have got into some other kind of problem.
I don't always have the baitrunner set on my current reels but it's just having the choice I guess.
As far as I'm aware the addition of the baitrunner facility won't affect the rest of the reels performance so as I say, it's just a fall back really.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a pair of the 2500DL's. I really like them except they don't make a noise when the baitrunner is working which means you need an alarm, not a problem normally but we have a club water that has an alarm ban.

I brought the DL because I hope these will last me for ages and therefore over the lifetime of the reel the added cost would be minimal for the extra smoothness, spare spool, double handle, and quality.

So far I have not had the line go under the spool (a problem with some reels I have owned).

The line lay is superb.

They are heavier than you would expect for a 2500 reel but I 'spose that is because the body is from the XT7(?) so the 2500 and 4000 are the same reel except for the spool size.

smufter

Reaction score
Couldn't resist in the end....:wh:wh:wh
Picked one up brand new off ebay for £58.99 delivered which was the cheapest I had seen anywhere.
Will see how I get on with it and possibly buy another matching one in a month or so.
Thanks for your input lads
;)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I have a pair of the 2500DL's. I really like them except they don't make a noise when the baitrunner is working which means you need an alarm, not a problem normally but we have a club water that has an alarm ban.

Can't you just put a lollystick in between the spokes? :)

sagalout

Reaction score
Can't you just put a lollystick in between the spokes?
There ain't no spokes, so what I have just finished doing, following your suggestion, is filing grooves all round the rim of the spool so that I can tape a piece of stiff card to the handle against the spool rim.

Works a treat, lovely noise just like me push bike when I was a kid.

PS Casting and line damage seem to be a bit of a problem. Dunno why :confused:

smufter

Reaction score
I have a pair of the 2500DL's. I really like them except they don't make a noise when the baitrunner is working .

Errr..mine arrived first thing this morning, I've had a "play" and the spool on mine definitely "clicks" when the baitrunner is on...:confused::confused:

Got to say I could immediately feel the quality when compared to my Okuma reels. It feels so smooth and wobble free in comparison, and the anti-reverse is superb. No free play at all (unlike my Epix Pro's).
I think I'm going to order a matching one for my other rod
:D:D:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just tried it again to make sure and yes, it definitely clicks.

Yeah, it should click, both of mine do just like all my other sghimano baitrunners. I actually listen for the clicking of the baitrunner when barbel fishing at night, it's just like a quiet alarm ;)

smufter

Reaction score
I actually listen for the clicking of the baitrunner when barbel fishing at night, it's just like a quiet alarm ;)

It's a lovely sound isn't it.. Even better than a screaming clutch.:D:D:D

Reminds me of that scene in Jaws when Quint's fishing off the back of the boat and he gets the tell tale "click.....click.....click" to let us all know that the action's just about to start.