How long to Catch Your first fish?

Blunderer

Reaction score
It took me two years to catch my first fish, and I must have been fishing at least 12 times before I did. Can anyone beat this?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Two years. You obviously did not lose your determination and that is credit to yourself.

But where were you fishing and how?

Blunderer

Reaction score
I was about 8 and was fishing in Lancashire millponds containing mainly perch using a big ball of bread because I had read that bread was a good all-round bait! I had one of those stupid kits - 6ft rod, 10lb line, size 2 hooks etc.On another occasion a mate and I cut some fish shapes out of slices of bread, decorated them with jam, toasted them and tried to spin them for pike! Seriously!
I was on holiday in Shropshire when I persuaded my Dad to take me out for some maggots. I also bought some size 16s.
And the thrill when I caught my first roach.....nothing has ever come close. I will send the story in to the website one day - I have written it up as part of my unfinished book.

J

john conway

Can?t remember how long it took me to catch my first stickleback with a bent pin and a worm. I seem to remember that they grabbed hold of the worm and you yanked them out before they let go? The earliest I can remember was probably when I was about 8 or 9, which would be about the time we moved from Clayton-le-Moors to Accrington. Bit of a let down we were going to emigrate to Canada, but my Dad didn?t like it and came back.
The Clayton-le-moor bit was staying with my Granny, the canal that ran through Clayton was still use by the coal barges so it was out of bounds, mind you so were most of the mill ponds and derelict buildings we played in. <g>

John Jones

Reaction score
Interesting Blunderer you should bring up this up.

Can't honestly say I remember my first fish cos I was probably around 4 or 5 at the time sitting on my dads knee.

However in my upcoming article 'A Lifetime Gift' written before you broached the subject, I recall how a pal caught his first ever fish and how it changed his life completely.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I can't really remember all that clearly the first fish I ever caught using a hook and bait. I must have been only 5 or 6 years of age and it must have been in Clumber Park Notts.

But it could have been a perch.

I also caught lots of stone loach.

My Dad, who was one of the few people who owned a car in those days - an Austin 10, used to take me to the Trent at Farndon. I used to spend hours watching the proper anglers. The tackle they used fascinated me.

My Dad, who didn't get much past a corporal in the army, used to pick up his old CO and take him for rides in the country. When he left the army in '46, he was soon employed and making top money whilst his Officers and NCOs were virtually begging for a crust.

Strange innit?

J

jason fisher

i can remember the first fish i caught it was a perch and it took absolutely bluddi ages. it was from the top lake at langold lakes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Jason.

My Grandad's farm was about 1/4 of a mile walk from the top lake at Langold. In both the big lake and the top lake I caught roach, perch, tench, pike and eels.

Those lakes were truly natural.

The top lake is still worth a bash and has some nice roach and tench. The big lake has produced many big pike over the years including several fish in the high twenties.

S

Steve King

A very good question Blunderer! An excellent choice of subject for a thread.

In my case 18 months or so. I nearly landed a carp on my first outing which was on the Thames at Kingston - it probably wasn't more than 5lbs or so but it seemed massive to me and as I was only 13 or so I nearly crapped myself. The hook fell out.

I then blanked and blanked until I fished Gunton Park and landed a perch of oooh 1? ozs or so, but I was pleased.

It was a little while later that I started fishing with mates that had some idea of how to fish. It was indeed a revelation to learn that 9lb line was not normally used for float fishing...

R

Robert Woods 1

Caught my first fish, a bullhead, on a bent pin & bread from a ditch when I was 10.

C

Coops

I wouldn't sear to it, but I think my first fish was a bullhead, caught from a small stream that ran through a farm in sussex where we kived in a cottage. I was only 5 years old but I've fished ever since.

I do clearly remember my first 'big' fish, a 1lb 4 oz skimmer bream caught from the river cuckmere near Hailsham in Sussex when I was 7.

J

jason fisher

i'm off to langold piking for a day over christmas ron, i'm taking me dad, he'll like that, might have a day on baileys as well, seeing as i'm on holiday from the 15th december till 3rd january.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I was obsessed with fishing from the age of three or four and nagged mny parents into taking me (none of my family fished) whenever I could. I finally caught my first fish on 28th May 1975 after at least 7 years of trying !!

Clikfire

Reaction score
I feel really guilty after reading above accounts. It was about 10 - 20 minutes for me to catch my first gudgeon to maggot on a size 10 hook, I was well chuffed. It was probably a year or more before I caught any other species though.