Most useful kit

Colin North 2

Reaction score
Come on Guys, what is the mosts useful thing in your tackle box? I'm not talking about reels and stuff, just practical things.

Mine is a hook tyer, you know, the black one with the thumb wheel that I've had for more than twenty years and that cost just a pound or two. I must have tied thousands of hooks with it over the years. What value for money!

jp

Reaction score
A loupe, I never go fishing without one.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The only Loupe i know of is a magnifying glass used by Photographers and Printers for examining prints and negatives.

If this is the same Loupe what do you use it for JP

L

Laurie Harper

Now I'm getting on a bit (50 +), a pair of cheap reading glasses (on a cord round my neck so they don't drop in the drink). Can't tie hooks/bait up, etc without 'em.

D

Don Butt

My flask of hot tea! Oh and a pair of neoprene gloves and elbow supports for when the strain of constant bagging (I wish!) takes its toll lol!

Ergo

Reaction score
I often think my best bit of stuff is a heavy rake head on a rope. It comes in very handy for clearing some of the crap and weed from my swim. It also stirs the bottom up a little which improves things.

W

Wolfman Woody

A ring threader. A steel needle (blunt) with a long spring on the end.

twist your line into the spring and thread it through all the rings. If you drop it haf way, it doesn't back back through too many others if any at all and its dead easy to see for all of us with failign eyesight.

jp

Reaction score
Bryan, I use them (got two, just in case) mostly for checking knots, hook points and hook eyes but also for examining any other small items of tackle that I can't see properly with the naked eye.

.......and a Tapestry needle, for doing what Jeff just said.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Two items I'd never be without:

A thin needle mounted on a plastic handle used to unravel wind knots. I cannot count the nuber of times this little "gismo" has come to my aid. Sensas market one which I have had for many years.

A Losapiombo (spelling?) which is a small device for safely moving split shot with the opposite side being used to actually remove shot as well.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You wait till you're old Rik you won't think its sad then, us old uns need a bit of help you know! Eyes that can't see properly, fingers that can't feel, legs that sieze up and constant visits to the loo. If they did nurses to take us fishing we'd even have them as well and theres other things as well......

now where was I?

S

Steve King

I'm getting to the stage where I try and tie sufficient rigs at home on the kitchen table. It can take me ten minutes or so to tie a hair rig on the bank!! (and then there's the problem of getting the dumbell stop in place!).

Help may be be at hand though 'cos I just went to a new optician who gave me the most thorough eye test I've ever had. It turns out that my current reading glasses prescription is totally inadequate and does not take into account my astigmatism at all. I'm really looking forward to collecting my new glasses!! (sad or what!!)

Most useful item of kit? It would have to be my multi tool thingy - knife, pliers, screwdriver etc.

jp

Reaction score
Old gitness will surreptitiously but inevitably creep up on you Rik, it's only a matter of time. No point fighting it, give in now and become a git early, I did.

D

Don Butt

Old Gits heh? Ive told my son (26) that I want to grow old disgracefuly! I think a cross between Victor Meldrew, Compo and Claude Greengrass is something to aim for. He says I'm halfway there lol! Time I gave him a thrashing on the bankside again methinks!

M

Mel Crighton

Most useful piece of kit has to be the First Aid kit, the number of times I have been ask by youngsters "have you got a plaster Mr" after they have impaled themselves with the hook and just ripped it out.

T

tom riordan

A pair of nail clippers for cutting line and braid. Superglue a bit of wet and dry onto the
swiveling handle of the clippers and you can give your hooks a quick sharpening up as well.