reel for trotting a stick

J

John Cady 2

Which would you say is the best reel for general stick float fishing?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Depending on how competent you are, or whether you are prepared to learn, then the purist would tell you a centrepin is the best.

Me, I think a closed face is best providing you aren't after barbel, but any fixed spool will do, its what you feel confident with that matters.

B

Bill Eborn

Do Abu make a right hand wind version of their closed faced reels for us southpaws? I know the Daiwa 125m is ambidextrous but it would be nice to be able to make a choice.

S

Steve King

I got severely cheesed off with my Abu 507 MK2 and bought the rather obscure (and expensive) Contact 400. It sounds like a cold cure, but it is a brilliant closed face reel! The reels are distributed by VMC.

Other posters have suggested a centre pin and this is worth considering - I use one for heavy trotting.

K

Keith Haynes 2

can you still buy the contact 400 and if so from who thanks

S

Steve King

Keith I don't know where you are, however my local tackle shop (Ashpoles 020 7226 6575) had a couple in stock the other day.

I think that they cost around ?115. Try one and see what you think. Personally I reckon they are brill - but please make your own mind up.

I have no connection with the manufacturers of the reel or Ashpoles.

K

Keith Haynes 2

derbyshire i have seen one before thanks i will give them a bell

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Either a closed face reel or a centre pin reel depending on flow, wind strength and target species.
If I were fishing a match then it would be the closed face reeel every time but for pleasure sessions then you cannot beat a centre pin in my opinion.

I have had my Daiwa 125M's ever since they first came onto the market and have never had any problems at wll with them.
From time to time I also still give an airing to my Abu 500 series of closed face reels and these can still be obtained from auction sites at reasonable money.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
All the top Trent stick float aces always used Mitchell Matches. Pins are too restrictive in range and control (they can slow a stick too much), closed face tend to stick (line bedding). I guess today's equivalent has to be a Shimano Stradic GTM-RA 2500 or the Super models.

B

Bully

I can understand your range comment Mark, but control and slow a stick too much? From my personal experience I would say quite the opposite. I can happily let a stick go through at flow rate no trouble at all, and the whole idea is to try a slow the rate down because surface flow is much faster than the flow at the bottom. A pin is ten times better at doing this job than an open face reel because you simply slow down the rotation. You cannot do this with an open face.

I accept in a match fishing you may want to compromise this, especially if you do need to fish at distance, but otherwise its a pin every time for me.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Steve, the ABU 507 Mk2 was the biggest load of garbage they ever produced. Within 6 months of the launch they were offering 2 for the price of 1 because the match boys soon found out how useless they were, later they gave you one for free if you bought any rod whatever the price.

No wonder you are having trouble with it but don't judge all closed face reels by that, there are some pretty decent ones out there. They aren't built for catching heavy fish on a regular basis but they're ideal for stick float fishing for silver fish and the occasional chub.

John Jones

Reaction score
I have used a Daiwa125M closed face for many years ( like since before God was born) and it's still quite brilliant for close in stick work and lines up to 4lb.

Like any reel it requires a little maintenace now and again otherwise it will begin to stick.

The main reason is that the felt ring around the edge of the spool frays and catches the line on the cast.

However it is a simple matter to replace this and the reel is as good as new again.

For light stick work I wouldn't use anything else, the 125M is superb value.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I agree. The 125M is an essential part of your kit if you are a river angler.

S

Steve King

Graham, me and two other mates went out and bought the 507 MK2 shortly after they were launched. Mine was fine for ages but my mates both had problems with tangles under the pickup rotor, they bought other makes. All of a sudden my 507 MK2 became prone to tangles too and I got shot of it.

I wouldn't suggest using closed face reels for any kind of heavy fish, but I would say that my Contact 400 has stood up to carp of 10lb or so without problems.

K

Keith Haynes 2

i use abu 1044 and704 closeface reels they are no trouble except the 704 you have to make sure you have pressed the line release hard enough

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I have used the Abu 1044 for the last ten years or so. It would be nice if the bearings were better and the clutch worked, but provided the mainline is 4.4lb or less and only 60 yards or line is used, bedding isn't an issue.

Before that I had a couple of Daiwas (125M's) and they were very unreliable. The bail arm button would click but not release the line. You wouldn't realise this until your cast slammed the float down in front of you, spooking the fish.

Before that I had loads of the old Abu's (501's etc) and they pretty good too, although I wore them out.

I also had an Adcock Stanton pin for a few years, but I prefer the closed faced reels as they are much less prone to tangles in windy conditions.

I'd like to try a pin again when trotting for Barbel.

K

Keith Haynes 2

i have now had 14 emails from this site for this topic its filling my emails up

C

Coops

I've just bought an ABU 704 and I'm finding it hard to adapt to as I'm so used to a standard fixed spool. I still react automatically on the bite as I would with an open face reel and lose all the benefits the close face reel provides.