Sea fishing near St Austell in Cornwall

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Going on holiday for the week near St Austell and wondered if it worth sneaking my lure rod in and chucking some spinners and stuff about in the sea.

Are lures fished off the beach or rocks in deeper water likely to work at all?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'm down next week to Cornwall. I've had a bit of success with bass on lures, fishing any rocky headland or estuary mouth on a rising tide. If high tide's due early morning, you've the best chance of all.

Bass will take a variety of plugs and spinners. You might also try a Mepps tipped with ragworm - Christchurch Harbour isn't the only place this can work for mullet. Also, let it drop to the bottom on sand, and bring it back with long pulls then lulls. Can get you a plaice and some other fish.

Usually, there are plenty of pollack off the headlands, and they'll nobble almost any lure. Floatfished deads work occasionally but if you can fish out a bucket of little live-os like sandsmelt, baby pollack, small pouting, etc, this is absolutely deadly at first light for bass, and some other fish. Bass often visit harbours at first light, and you can ambush them with a livebait - wildly underused as a technique.

Beecy

Reaction score
ive just got back from st austell

lucky enough to have a friend who has just retired down there and has a boat moored at fowey, had a nice afternoon out with him, about a mile out - pollack,codling,gurnard,mackerel,wrasse, all on feathers - nothing big but a cracking way to spend a few hours.

there is a charter boat that goes out from mevagissy, the 'bessie vee', he recomends it, have a look on its web site for some catch pics

if you head out towards truro you will find a pub called 'the wheel' i think the town name is trewellin ( or similar, my maps in the car and i cant be arsed to go get it )

the pubs car park has the river fal right behind it, we stopped off for a pint one night and just caught it at high tide, ive never seen anything like it, it was thick with mullet, like an ornemenatal pond with them cruising just under the surface, i swear you could have walked over the river on there backs there was so many - a chap in the pub also told me it was good for bass on light spinners

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

just checked my map, the town i meant is Tresillian, on the A390

check it out, its got to be seen to be believed, ive never seen so many fish, has to be high tide though, otherwise its nothing but a trickle in a muddy ditch

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
sounds like a sight and a half. We're setting off for home tomorrow morning though and I'm not sure we'd be able to make it over there for the morning high tide which is a shame. I'll give it a go though as it's only 20 minutes away from where we're staying.

So far I have fished off Mevagissey harbour wall at high tide on two evenings and four mornings and caught absolutely no fish. None at all.

I tried spinners, spoons, small plug type lures and mackeral feathers; then, sand eel or mackeral strips fished under a float at everywhere from 3 to 10 feet deep. I couldn't get peeler crab as the local tackle shop said they gave up as it was costing about £6.00 for four.

Of course those either side of me, up and down the wall, caught mackeral, pollack and garfish. Not in any huge numbers but fairly consitently.

Beecy

Reaction score
i didnt notice the dates and that you where actually allready there

ive probably even seen you at mevagissy as ive been down there watching the anglers several times last week, not fished myself though.

was there at the morming high tide saturday and saw quite a few small ( up to 1 lb ) pollack caught on mackrel strips and feathers

hope you have a safe journy home, maybe see you down there next year as i go every year, love that area

Rickrod

Reaction score
Im abit late with this post Paul, If you come down again let us know and i could give you some local info