The Phantom Barbel

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

No doubt that both Ed and The Monk will have something to say about the first bit.

Mind you we haven't heard much from Barney of late. Perhaps this is where he has been hiding.

C

Coops

Barney? Perhaps he's taken on a pussy that was just a bit too big for him and it swallowed him up.

Clikfire

Reaction score
"No doubt that both Ed and The Monk will have something to say about the first bit."

Why don't they like there pre baiting methods advertised!

Kevin, keep the grim up up North humour coming. Its all good fun.

T

The Monk

excellent article Kevin, I presume you mean the Liverpool end of the Manky Canal of course!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Ed's very quiet tonight, my guess would be that he's swamping Ebay with his Groundbait Mixing Bowl collection, (hubcaps), the man must be sitting on a fortune.

R

Robert Woods 1

Kevin,
As I live in Runcorn where the Ship Canal runs along I fancy trying your groundbaiting method. What cars do you recommend as both Fords & Vauxhalls have been heavily baited and bites are hard to come by. Do you try lighter baiting in winter ie Tesco's trollies....???

T

The Monk

I used to fish a Manky water which contained a Robin Reliant and I once caught a 20lb carp off its roof!

T

The Monk

CAMPAIGN ON BADLANDS
WHERE THE HUNTER CAN BECOME THE PREY.

The deprivation of the inner city; the slums, the one-time planners dreams of the sixties turned sour. Giant tower blocks forming a fierce landscape on cheaply built overspills. Grim reminders of past failures.

No many with boarded windows, yet still inhabited by squatters, and in use as dens of iniquity. The squalor, scandal and deprivation; drug addicts, prostitutes, meths drinkers, society’s unfortunate people. Areas of another time; unreal in the merry England of Sherringham and his contemporise. More reminiscent of the Bronx in Harlem or the Ghettos of Fort Apache and the like.

Badlands pit was around an acre in size. An old mill lodge of the Lancashire cotton era, now a former shadow of itself as it now lay in a rather melancholy state. Littered with rubbish, both on the banks and in the water, it was horrendously disfigured by the surrounding malaise. The place was a toilet. Prolific and abundant weed covered the entire area. Old railway sleepers with oil drums tied together with rope floated where school children had built long forgotten rafts during the previous school holidays. Plastic carrier bags and large lumps of foam rubber adorned the remaining spaces. In the depths lay numerous shopping trolleys, old bicycle frames, car wheels and even a Reliant three-wheeler sat nestled below the dam, a fate unbefitting to this once picturesque little pool.

It was towards the end of the sixties, as a young lad, that I had bailiffed the pool, which at the time was controlled by the once mighty Greenhall Whitney Angling Association. A smaller spring fed backwater ran into the main pool. The main pool being approximately 0.25 acre in size. The small pool was noted for its crucian carp; while the larger one was famous for its giant tench, along with a few big pike, carp perch and the odd eel.

Being a near impossible water to bailiff, by the early seventies the club controlling the pool had all but given up the lease and left the pool to its own devices and fate. Badlands had become a free-for-all en sundry. Mother nature had reclaimed the backwaters, whilst the unscrupulous dumping of toxics had destroyed many of the pools inhabitants. The mill, which once served Badlands, had long since ceased business, whilst a few small units on the original site remained in dereliction. The pool was left in its unfortunate state, but being spring fed, did maintain a good quality Ph and indeed half a dozen carp did survive these years.

“Old Chestnut” was an obliging quarry, first seeing twenty pounds in around 1981, when Andy had made its first acquaintance. Indeed, this leviathan had satisfied a number of group anglers over the years. “The Bull” was a bit wilier, but again, he too made the occasional sort to the bank.

I had never really done any intensive work on Badlands for the carp, although I had taken pike some twenty years earlier with Alex. Having recently climaxed by catching “Bent Tail” on the Brow, late in the August saw me in search of another local twenty and Badlands had been beckoning me for some time.

The grappling hook was a rather barbaric looking device and consisted of four large tarmacers rake heads welded back to back around a heavy 1-inch diameter steel bar. This was attached at each end to a piece of chain that, in turn was tied to a long length of heavy-duty woven nylon rope. Although this arrangement was quite heavy to throw out, I found that by placing the tool in the margins, I could then walk round to the other side of the pool and drag the instrument across the bottom.

T

The Monk

It was very difficult at first, and the job required hours and days of toil. Even with thick gloves on, the blisters on my hands became painful. When commencing dredging, the filamentatious weed would quickly reseal any holes I had made. The water shrimp however was prolific and in great abundance and one could see the reason for the pools inhabitants’ growth. Gradually over a long period, the mounds of rotting weed built up behind a few clear sandy areas and me did begin to materialise. I removed lots of rubbish from the pool; tin cans, bags, oil drums, old inner tubes, a pram, a bike, two ASDA trolleys and even an old fishing rod, barely recognisable as such. I managed to dig out two large holes on the bank and buried the lot, and a few weeks later I was ready to wet my first line.

I had actually baited each hole I had cleared, as I had cleared them, although I was a little concerned that I may have disturbed some of the heavy metals that probably lay in the silt. In retrospect I should have taken a few core samples first and analysed them in the lab. One thing I did find interesting though was that while I was dragging the pool I had uncovered a number of tench and noted how, strangely, they didn’t always immediately dive for cover. Indeed at times they just sat on the bottom, gazing up at me, with puzzled expressions on their faces. In fact, I also observed the tench feeding shortly after having cleared holes out of the weed, this phenomenon bore resemblance to that of starlings looking for worms just after the garden has been turned over.

My first attempt to erect a bivvy gave me problems, I was having great difficulty pegging the thing down, only to discover I was setting up on top of an old carpet, in parts rotting and home to a friendly family of earwigs “Aaaggghh”.

August bank holiday had been a real scorcher and I was down on Badlands for a three-dayer. John, the watchman in the old mill, had very kindly allowed me to park my car in the yard to watch over it; thus ensuring that I would still have my wheels on when it was time to leave the pool. It was a strange feeling as John locked the gates to the yard, banishing me to a world of anarchy, like a scene from a mad max movie. Cast out into the outlands amongst the mutant populous, Cast of from the safety of a fortress of sanity and consign on a mission to a lonely carp water of ill repute until the night blanket lifted to reveal another dawn in this strange and forbidding landscape.

With bivvy scan alarms set in all directions, I settled down for what was to be a relatively quiet night, peering timorously at my intimidating surroundings. I cast four rods out, one in each of the prebaited holes and one on the plateau I had found; which actually turned out to be the roof of the Reliant. This lay under about three feet of and proved to be a good holding area.

T

The Monk

The Wirralites had put me onto a good bait, bless them, and I settled back in the bedchair, baseball bat in hand, and awaited any action the session may have in store. August went without event. September, which had always been a good carp month, produced the first activity from fish life. I was fishing with one rod beachcaster style on top of the weeds using a small flat lead which was laying on top of some devil’s tails, a take was intercepted but resulted in the hook pulling and the carp after that just became more wary of the method.

Other events that took place in that September included the blowing up of a stolen car one evening, this occurred towards the dam. This was followed by six police cars, two fire engines and a police helicopter complete with searchlight (apparently a common occurrence down there) I just sat with a brew in the bivvy and looked on in amazement.

On another visit a suicide had taken place and in one of my best swims! One morning when I arrived at the pool I found two brand new beaded seat covers, probably the remains of a ringing session by the local car thieves, this was handy for me, as the ones in my car desperately needed replacing Wow and you think Wraysbury is bad?

October arrived and the wind was howling through the Irk valley. Three friendly meths-drinkers had taken up residency under the willows by the side of the river; in fact I could just make out their campfire below the trees. Two thirty am and the bait on the car roof is away. The first actual run on the place (good old Adie, mines a bottle of strawberry) and into the net comes a 9lb 2oz mirror (well surprise surprise) I’m well chuffed.

A quick slug on the whiskey bottle for celebratory purposes and back the old girl goes. Another few freebies and a recast, dead centre back on the roof. An hour and a half later and the Reliant rod is away again (we love the Wirralites). The result is a 10lb 8oz beautiful carpy-poos, goody, goody, goody, indeed my cries of joy caused some disturbance among the meths-drinkers, which meant I had to keep an ever watchful eye on the old Trangia fuel. And so endeth October. No more runs, not more action and I didn’t particularly fancy Wintering in on Badlands since a gang of skin heads had been keeping an unfriendly eye on my gear and it wasn’t the type of water you could actually sleep on.

T

The Monk

Old John the watchman had been very good to me during my stays. John lived in an old caravan at the top of the yard and he would often pop down for a drink and a chat bringing with him two of his three Alsatian guard dogs with often some fresh coffee in the mornings. John’s third dog was unapproachable, a real bad ass, and I feel sorry for anyone attempting to break into John’s yard when the wild one was on the loose, you really would kiss your backside goodbye.

November had arrived, the meths-drinkers had moved on to Piccadilly bus station for the winter and I’m left pulling my hair out trying to get “Chestnut” on the bank. December was upon me and it’s quite a quiet night. The usual blood bath is taking place at the Lord Lovett down the road as I sat quietly in the bivvy listening to the police sirens as someone was carted off to the cells for the night. All of a sudden one of my middle rods starts to leap about on the rod rests, half awake and half asleep I jump up and hit the rod, only to realise I’ve struck the wrong rod, dummy! Looking down on the rod that has the line steaming off it, I bend down and hold onto what feels like a good fish. It rolls but a few yards to my right and I see the unmistakable bright orange flank glisten in the moonlight. I had no doubt at all, it was old “Chestnut” and it was nice to see she was still around. By the time I had the net under her I was a mass of hysteria and no doubt my screams of joy echoed for miles around (..Well I get a bit exited at times!! ). Old John was knocked up; the dogs started barking (thanks for the pictures mate). She went 20lb 8oz of beautiful Chestnut orange, not the biggest carp I’ve ever caught, but most certainly one of the best, and with a little held from my friends (cheers Andy), I could now move away from Badlands, and god bless all who sail in her, mission accomplished.

Footnote:
This story is based on known water in the Manchester area which was listed in the Beekay guide under difficult waters, it wasn’t, and sadly since I last fished there, the larger fish have apparently been stolen.