SUPERSONIC BREAM!!!!!!!!

Y

yoggy

During a piking session yesterday afternoon on the 20ft drain i got chatting to the local baliff [whom i know],the conversation eventually got round to Bream!!.He told me that a couple of years ago there was a "tagging" scheme set up by the EA in the 20ft drain.One morning the tagging began at Beggars Bridge,it was very successful.The following morning an angler caught one of the tagged Bream at Stags Holt and reported it.Nothing unusual you might say?.....Stags Holt is 14 miles away!!!!!!!!...unbelievable!!!!!!!.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's not impossible. If the fish was tagged say 14 hours before it was caught, then thats a speed of 1 mile an hour.

A very leisurely walking speed.

I once saw a group of carp all swimming together on the Warks Avon at far more than walking speed. They passed a friend of mine a couple of miles down the river not long after.

Certainly barbel moved 9 miles in a week on the Swale when the Northern Specimen Group tagged them in the 60s.

Y

yoggy

Yes Ron,
This really amazed me as its not something you tend to think about in great depth.Travelling great distances is more associated with saltwater fish.
It would be interesting to know which coarse fish travels the most?.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think Yoggy was probably more surprised by the fact that they had moved 14 miles rather than the speed, but we tend to forget that fish are very mobile in a river.

I've lost count of the times someone has reported bagging up on say chub, and one of the listeners has fished the same stretch, same peg even, the next day and blanked. Fish respond to pressure by moving but we like to think they stay in the same stretches but they certainly don't. This particular bream, and the rest that were tagged probably responded to the unusual procedure by getting as far away as possible.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

After eels, bream and barbel are the biggest travellers of all. After those, roach.

Chub, pike, perch, dace and the rest don't travel much.

Salmon and seatrout of course are great travellers. However the brown trout will often occupy a spot in a river for years.

In a river system, carp will also travel. However due to the fact that most of the knowledge we have about carp behavior has been confined to still waters, we know little about carp movements in rivers.

Y

yoggy

Thats interesting,,so much is known about the saltwater species but not freshwater,why is it Ron that the Brown Trout will remain?,does this mean even after being caught?

S

sash

Pike Ron? Don't agree with you at all on that one mate. A certain fish may be resident in one swim for years but others travel miles on the drains, especially if pressured in any way.