Christmas pudding

Peter West

Reaction score
Hello All. Just finished making Christmas pudding, I use a very old recipe make my own every year can?t beat it, started of making one now after to make four every year for friends. Won?t let wife near kitchen when I am doing this, the smell now wafting through house is delicious it has to steam for six hours, takes 5fl oz brandy, can?t wait.

S

Steve King

Can't beat homemade Christmas Pudding! I've made them to an old family recipe for the past few years too! As you say the smell of Christmas Pud steaming is wonderful!

We have democracy in our kitchen - I make the Christmas Pudding and my wife bakes the Christmas Cake!

T

The Monk

Must confess I`m quite partial to a lump of Christmas Pudding, in fact I eat it at New Year, Easter, Whit, my birthday, everyone elses birthday and whenever I can get my mitts on a lump?

S

Steve King

I'll put a pud aside for you Nick! Pobably better to hand it over to you at a fish-in though - it might slow you down on a Pilgrimage!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Christmas Pudding??

Pah!! Tosh!! Humbug!

A plate of stewed sour prunes is far better for you.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My missus always made her own Christmas puds, cake and mince pies but we discovered that Tesco's puds are gorgeous so we have them now. Christmas cake costs more to make than to buy but you can't beat homemade mince pies.

I can't believe I'm writing this, I'll be watching Coronation St next, bloody hell.

M

Mel Crighton

On the subject of Christmas puds, do any of you know where I can get sugar free puds as being diabetic I miss out each year, I used to eat a whole pud in one sitting now I dont get any , any suggestions ?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Why not try the new Nagapie (bushbaby) brain Christmas puds just coming into the country. It takes up the the mashed up brains of six African bushbabies to make one pud. Guaranteed no sugar.

Get one of these puds now. The Animal Liberation Front is mounting a major campaign to stop the clubbing of bushbabies and I can see severe shortages in the future.

alan

Reaction score
Mel, have you tried a health food shop?
they should to able to get you one.

M

Mel Crighton

Alan have not had much time of late to do much shopping, will take a look on my day off, or it will be a job for the MIL, thanks for the advice.

W

Wolfman Woody

The best commercial Christams pudding used to be made by Heinz. Definitely the best, but it's problem was its shape. It was exactly like all its other puddings, round and flat like out of their normal tins.

They discontinued them in the late 70s and I haven't tasted one as good since.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If I remember right Jeff, we used to get them in SA. They were very good.

Made in the good old USA of course.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Mel --make your own --and instead of sugar use SPLENDA (granular)--Its OK for diabetics see:
SPLENDA

It is made from sugar so doesn't have the aftertaste that other sweeteners have

M

Mel Crighton

Thanks Ed, I dont use any sweetners at present but will give it a try.

S

Steve King

Graham, I find it sad that you and your wife no longer make your own Christams puds or cake.

OK I admit there are excellent puds and cakes available from supermarkets. That is not the point though. What about the challenge of doing it yourself and being an individual and not just another consumer/customer at a checkout?

If a robot that could fish better than you was invented, would you give up fishing???

Cooking is a pleasure - ENJOY!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

This from a friend :
Christmas Pudding
8oz Suet
8 oz Currants
8oz Sultanas
8oz Raisins
4oz Bread crumbs
6oz plain flour
6oz brown sugar
1 grated Apple
2 grated carrots
mixed peel
2oz chop almonds
1tsp salt
1 lemon zest
1 lemon juiced
1/2 tablsp nutmeg
1 tablesp mixed spice
1/2 pint stout
4 eggs
chopped dates or figs

5-6 hours steamed

S

Steve King

Add a couple of prunes soaked in cold tea plus a bottle of stout and your pretty much there Jeff!