Front page article on licence fines

L

Lee Poultney

If the fines can be up to ?2500 then why is the average just over a ?100?

To be honest the chances of getting caught are slim, indeed I have only ever been asked once in 15 years of angling. Therefore, not buying a licence for 4 years has just paid that small fine.

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree that the fines should be a lot steeper, but perhaps ?2500 is a bit much. Somewhere between 500 - 1000 would be acceptable in the most cases where there's simply no excuse.

But isn't it the same with all Court proceedings, eg: a disqualified driver gets in a stolen car, causes an accident and involuntary manslaughter and gets off with a further driving ban and a ?150 fine. What's the point? The guy was already disqualified so short of chopping his right leg off what's to stop him going out the day after and repeating the entire performance?

Courts are too soft and angling licence dodgers are just the tip of a very large iceberg.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
I still dont understand why all day ticket waters don't demand to see the rod licence before selling that person a day ticket!
They should be supporting the EA.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What I find particularly ridiculous is:

?Those who fish without a licence face tough penalties including fines of up to ?2,500 and a ban from fishing"

Now, can someone tell just how the EA are going to enforce a license dogdger being banned from going fishing?

A practical imposibility?

C

Coops

I've said before when license issues come up that there is a case for a law that commercial fisheries and clubs only issue day tickets and club books on production of a valid EA license. The EA would then only have to spot check the fishery controllers and manage free fishing stretches.

On the practical side it makes the sale of day tickets on the bank more difficult as tickets would have to be purchased prior to starting fishing, but it's not unachievable.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It might help if Fishing Tackle shops were only allowed to sell you items of tackle if you have a licence.

Just the same way as buying ammo in certain parts of the world in which I have lived.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And there is Coops spelling it the American way.

License!!!

GWB has really brainwashed the poms!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
In regards to fishery owners only selling day tickets to licence holders, that can only be a voluntary thing surely, otherwise it makes them liable if anyone is caught without one. You would have to include clubs in that too, which might be a problem when club cards are sent out by post.

Its a good idea but I'm not sure fishery owners would want to accept the liability, or even if they should accept liability. Its a law now that you must possess a licence to fish and you can be fined if you don't, so why don't the police enforce then?

Ian F Warnecke

Reaction score
I started fishing in 1962 and in all those years I had never been asked for my licence which we used to buy from our local tackle dealer but this year I got asked for it whilst fishing at Wyelands as I said to the inspector about time and I asked him for his ID which they all carry and he was more than happy to show it so ask them and be glad we have a great sport or hobby.

W

Wolfman Woody

"And there is Coops spelling it the American way. License!!!"

In fact "Licence" is the piece of paper or permission (noun) whereas "license" is the action (verb) of granting someone the permission.

The American is "license" in both cases as Ron says.

D

Deecy

I have been driving since 1980 I have never been asked for my driving licence,I have had a telly for years and never been asked for my TV licence.
The EA work on the basis of minimum effort for maximum reward which they must do.It is no good bailiffs walking the thames or visiting lightly fished club waters for little return when they could be on Linear or Willow Park and the like where results are guarenteed.They have finite resources.As for fines Magistrates fine on ability to pay.In other words a person with a 15K income, a mortgage a car to run and a couple of kids will pay less than a person on 50K a year with few outgoings.The basis for this is that it is better to get some revenue back than none at all.
I get sick and tired of people knocking the EA who have little idea of what they do.We all have the opportunity to speak to them dircet and if you ask you will be suprised at what they have to offer.As of January 2005 the freedom of information act comes in to force.Ask all the questions you like then of how the money is spent.At the same time Courts work to guidelines set by the current Government.We all have a vote so if we do not like the system we vote to change it, yet so few do.
This is not directed at any individual on this forum.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If i buy a new TV my name and address are sent to the licencing people. Why can't clubs do the same. In this age of computers its only a press of a button.

I can see no problem with commercials checking that all the correct paperwork is in order. When i was doing alot of flyfishing this was the practice no licence no fishing. Day tickets were available at the office.

C

Coops

"And there is Coops spelling it the American way. License!!!"

How embarassing! I hate American spelling of anything and normally don't do it. Even more embarassing is Ron, a northerner, pointing it out. Everyone knows northerners can't speak the Queens English, let alone write it. My day is ruined already. :)