Hemp! HELP!!

C

Colin Smith 4

I have recently bought some hemp in a large quantity of 15 kilos. I have heard that you can get "bad" batches. I have pre-soaked the hemp for 24 hours in boiling water, chucked it into a sealable bucket, and left it overnight. The next day I went to boil it up ageain so that it cracked, but it is taking forever. Really, it should only take about 20mins after pre-soking it in boiling water...

Please help,

any solutions,

Colin Smith

D

Deecy

No solution, this has been a common problem recently and I suffered the same problem from a local animal feed merchant.All I can say is that I have never had 'bad Hemp' from CC Moore,they have a web site and are not only reasonable pricewise but have brilliant products.

B

Big Rik

Deecy is right, there have been some bad batches.
Buy from a repurtable but cheap fishing place like CC Moores.
Animal feed merchants couldn't give a rats toss whether it splits or not.

S

sash

Generally I've found that the smaller sized stuff recently getting sold doesn't split well but the bigger grained, chilean stuff is excellent.

O

Ozz

Buy a steamer, soak the hemp for 24hrs in cold water, and then steam for 40mins, nearly every piece will split, and the oil retention is superb.

N

Neil Laing

Hello The Monk,re you post'or just germinate it and fish it like that'
I thought it was vital to cook it to stop it growing in the lake and possible causing major damage.Perhaps not a problem in the winter but still!
Yacko

C

Colin Smith 4

ok then all you guys!

An extreme thanks to all of you. I have tried soaking it in cold water and found that it has worked ok.

I will look in further to CC Moore's..

Cheerz

W

William Spencer

little tip colin.add a teaspoon of salt to your water in the winter and a teaspoon of sugar in the summer.
usually to about five kilos.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Colin, when I have had this happen to me I use a potato masher to grind and crush it up, then at least you can still get some use out of it and it releases the flavour.

W

William Spencer

good tip bill,if poss i spill it into the water from a dinghy.cloud attracts everything

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Also you can add it to groundbait or spod it. I usually add it to Dynamites ground hemp and ball it in, or put it with bread mash if I am Chubbing.

O

Ozz

I found it by chance!, wont do hemp any other way now, you can get them from most electrical appliance shops for about 20 quid

Jonathan Lungley

Reaction score
Its also a good idea to keep it in the water you boil it in as it contains a lot of the oil from the hemp and makes a nice little slick on and in the water.

T

The Monk

not problem with germination Neil, a method which has been used for years in carp fishing circles with a number of mass type baits. Hemp can be devistation for carp, in fact it was one of the mothods we would use in the old days to determine if carp actually existed in a water (carp were often an unkown factor in those days)