silt

nobby

Reaction score
new to fishing and forum would like to ask how do i find out the depth of silt and if it is worth doing

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Iv'e often thought about that myself nobby, and I've been at it for years.
I have plummed a lake with a waggler (light float) and got an even depth of about three feet all over.
However, when I had to wade into it one day, the depth was up to my shoulders, and I'm six foot.

Before I go any further , welcome to the best Angling site going. Somebody is bound to make the remark, I didn't know they piled shit that high.

I think its right to say silt vary's in density, from a cloud to mud. The fish will find the bait no matter what it is.
Appart from getting in the water , I don't know that you can find the depth of silt, but maybe somebody else can tell us otherwise.

Darkstar

Reaction score
Here is a good way to find the depth of silt, tie a 11/2-2oz bomb onto a good lenght of white wool(knitting yarn), then tie the wool to your mainline and cast in. Let the lead settle then reel in.The lead will sink into the silt and The silt will dye the wool black or brown. Then it is just a case of measuring the lenght of staining on the wool and you have your depth of silt. Easy peasy. :)

nobby

Reaction score
thanks baz thanks darkstar that helps a great deel

Ergo

Reaction score
Well bu**er I, a really inteligent answer, and I have nicked it Dennis ;)

B

Bill Cox

To get a true reading you will need to use a weight let down on a float so that it goes straight down and not at an angle.

Ergo

Reaction score
As I mainly use a pole, it will do for me Dennis ;)