new rods

W

William Spencer

i'm after a new set of rods/reels.reel choice has been decided-shimano 10k.now for rods.at the mo i have shimano catana's,and they've been very good as an entry/budget rod.i think it's time to upgrade the rods to something a little more powerful.shortlist consists of;
fox gladiators
greys prodigy
shimano tribal
esp vertex

all three rods i will buy will be three pound test(ever tried lobbing frothey's method mix?).
i'm considering the tribals as the catana's were shimano,and,my coarse tackle is all shimano.none of the rods i have have let me down.
any thoughts or input much appreciated

C

Colin Smith 4

I use the Fox Gladiator Rods and have had no faults with them as yet...

I have heard very good reports about the Greys Prodigy Rods, and i think that i may upgrade to them later on (When I have the money!).

Col.

W

William Spencer

no offence col.i thought the gladiators wouldn't need an upgrade,but thanx for a quick reply.

only have the money as i keep getting paid for chopping a few fingers off.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Go for the Greys. I have there Barbel and Specimen rods all excellent plus theres the lifetime gaurentee all for ?99

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
An honest and unbiased opinion Will, don't buy shop made and treat yourself to something custom built for yourself. Thats waht I do. Take a good hard look at the Harrison Chimera's. I had a set built at 3.5tc and 12.5 foot long. Go to a decent rod builder and let him measure you correctly and guide and build you a rod that suits your specific requirements.

What reel seat
What handle, cork duplon etc
What eye rings
What spacing for what distance for what methods etc.

I'd never go back. Perhaps a little more expensive but then again they would have been made specifically for you with your markings etc including your name and serial no etc.

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
I use 12 foot 3.5lb Century NGs. Can't fault them. Plenty of feel playing fish, nicely cushioned for big fish under the tips. Good for a long chuck too, but not an out and out casting tool. I'm no hooligan caster at all, but can happily sling a 5oz lead and single bait with these up to a measured 140yds.

raz

Reaction score
i use 12 foot diawa sensor-z carp rods. an very good they are. (so i think) nice bend to the rod when a fish is being played. 2.5 test curve. an it lobs a good method feeder out a long way. i also have just purchased a shakespear hurricane bait runner. i've only used it once. but it's thumbs up so far.

Jonathan Lungley

Reaction score
I agree with Stuart, I also have custom built Harrison Chimera's and I luv em, but I am not you. My advice is to go to one of the larger shops that have a good and varied stock of rods find someone that knows what they are talking about to guide you to the rods that are best for you alone, and stick with them as they may feel a bit strange at first.

Good luck.

M

Malcolm Bason

William, take your choice of reel with you when you decide on the new rods!

Get the balance right and you'll be a happy chappy! Its what 'FEELS' right to you that really matters!

W

William Spencer

plenty of food for thought guys,like the idea of the harrisons chimera,apparently there is a guy who works at fosters of brum,might pay a visit,there is however a certain carper on here who raves about bruce ashby's rods,again custom built to your very own requirements.gonna have to do some serious tackle shopping this weekend(providing i do the work first)

T

tommo

Will,

Although I no longer carp fish, I can thoroughly recommend that you look at the Harrison Chimeras.

If you can stretch to it, get yourself a set of custom built chimeras, you will not regret it.

One builder to consider would be Mark Tunley. Another would be Roger McCourtney.

Have a look :

http://www.marktunley.com/

and

http://www.flyfishingtackle.uk.com/

for Bruce Ashby, go here;

http://www.geocities.com/bruceashbyrods/bruce_ashby_rods_homepage.htm

and for Vic Gibson go here;

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/vic_gibson.htm

all do Harrison custom build, and although Roger M doesn't do a carp model as such, if you speak to him he will undoubtedly sort you out.

For Harrison direct go here;

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/

Enjoy.............

PS you can tell I like 'em!!

W

William Spencer

tommo,quality mate.can't give advice how to link as i don't know.had a good look on saturday at manufactured rods(shimano,esp,greys)will have to wait until next weekend until i can have a look at harrisons rods.nearest i can find is in brum

M

michael rouse

Correct me if im wrong(think I am) but Mark Baines rods are called Kevlar and I know someone with a pair of custom rebuilt sportex's. They are fantastic rods.

If you want a casting tool then get these. They have the same test curve as mine but mine have bigger rings. His blank felt remarkably lighter just without the big guides.

Well worth a look at.

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Greys X-Flites 12ft 6" - 3.5lb TC rods are sublime and will chuck anybodys method mix out,quite forgiving too!